1. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

How wide does the ramp up to the coop door need to be? 6", 8" 12"?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine is somewhere between 10" and 12" in width. I'd have to go outside with a flashlight at this point to be certain.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Hmmmm. I have ramps varying between 8 and 12 inches.....

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    MIne is only 6" wide, with "grips" every 6 inches, and all my gals seem to do fine, even the two rather uncoordinated & heavier Blue Cochins. Ramp is rather steep and goes up up up to the henhouse patio. which is about 4 feet off the ground ...

5. cluckin tractor

cluckin tractor Chillin' With My Peeps

it is useful if it is the size of the door and it can also be influenced by the size of the chickens. small feet, large gaps beetween each bump for traction means that they could get no where. unless it is super long and it is a long walk but little effort. if you made it long and your chickens were of different sizes than the larger would just flie up and enter quicly while the smaller can also use it in a different fashion. the width is up to you but he wider the beter as you could say two way traffic [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] can be used by the chickens. however wide it needs to be it needs to suit a chickens feet gripping and strolling up and down without looking like it is a tight wrope

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by