Ran off a fox!

I was clearly talking about the lights sold as a predator deterrent for livestock. I haven't bought them because I realize it's a gimmick, simple as that.
The same goes for bear and coyote urine. All animals are wary of the sent of humans yet they still keep coming.

Also your talking about how you prevented something from getting into your barn, stall. The op has a fox coming that knows there are chickens there. A blinking light won't stop them.
You can argue the point of me not having experience with the lights while dismissing them. I like to think I'm not as foolish as some.

I was sharing my experience with lights. I thought it maybe helpful to share an experience instead of just an opinion.
Others will also read this thread so its not only about the OPs situation.
For the op I believe I said I'd trap that one and then kill it. I'd have to look back but I think I posted that.

Do you have the lights designed for scaring off predators or a yard flood light? I use my light on the yard too but that's not what I said was a gimmick. You may wanna reread.

The fact that others will read this thread is exactly why I posted what I did. I was trying to help people with a problem. Dealing with a problem once imo is better. Trapping them is more effective than a light no matter how you look at it. That trap will work far longer than fiddling with a light or radio. To each their own. You keep offering up your experiences.

Mine was packaged as a predator defence light but it is just a smaller version of the motion activated light above my garage door.
The home type is what I use now because it has two socket.
I agree with you on the other. My first choice is to shoot it. Second is trap it and kill it.
I will also use lights, radio or other things as a deterrent. You think some of the things are just a waste of time. I've heard things I've felt the same about but I've also heard things that I thought sounded foolish but if its an easy try if feel more foolish for not trying it.
If they stop one kill it would be worth it.

Mine was packaged as a predator defence light but it is just a smaller version of the motion activated light above my garage door.
The home type is what I use now because it has two socket.
I agree with you on the other. My first choice is to shoot it. Second is trap it and kill it.
I will also use lights, radio or other things as a deterrent. You think some of the things are just a waste of time. I've heard things I've felt the same about but I've also heard things that I thought sounded foolish but if its an easy try if feel more foolish for not trying it.
If they stop one kill it would be worth it.
First thing is I don't understand how so many people lose birds anyway. A secure coop and run isn't difficult to build. An electric fence or a few wires done correctly will stop everything. I free range birds so that's where I lose a few. I don't understand how you can say a light is working. Is your set up not secure? How do you know it's working if your set up is secure? If nothing can get in then the light is not doing anything. If something can get in then your using a light instead of securing your coops/runs etc ..

I have too many to use a secure run and coop like most do. I have 24/7 free range on about 3 1/2 acres for about 3/4 of my birds.
I don't use electric fence because I have kids, one really young.
I do have fencing and 3 dogs as the best part of our defense but I'll use any deterrent that works even part time or with less then stellar results.
I would like to have 0 losses and if I can't get to 0 it won't be from lack of trying.

I have too many to use a secure run and coop like most do. I have 24/7 free range on about 3 1/2 acres for about 3/4 of my birds.
I don't use electric fence because I have kids, one really young.
I do have fencing and 3 dogs as the best part of our defense but I'll use any deterrent that works even part time or with less then stellar results.
I would like to have 0 losses and if I can't get to 0 it won't be from lack of trying.
I have at any given time 40-50 birds loose 24/7 the remaining 100 birds or so are in coops and in pens at night behind a fenced run and electric fence. Just how many birds do you have that you can't secure a coop or run? My loose birds sleep in the trees.

Around 500 right now.
Probably 300 Or so free range and the other 200 in breeding pens or grow out pens.

Oh and I have about 150 chicks in the garage and 96 eggs hatching today and tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom