Ran out of feed and everything is closed! What can I feed my chickens?

My birds love hot grain (oatmeal, rice, cornmeal, quinoa, etc.) mixes with yogurt. Throw some other cereals (no sugar) in there, some veggies and fruit (they love berries).

Quote:
I have heard that cat food contains something that is not good for your birds -- dog food is ok tho.

It's just that you have to read labels, even on pet food. Cat food tends to be high in sodium, especially canned cat food. The sodium is bad for their kidneys, so it's not a good thing to give them long term... but for one day to get them through until she can get some chicken feed, it shouldn't hurt them.

And they would probably appreciate the break from the boring chicken feed anyway!

big_smile.png

oatmean, cereal, even dog or cat food will work for a meal..... Cornbreak works(our chickens love it)......

also birdseed from walmart will work in a pinch...Good thing here is we can just freerange ours if needed.

They LOVE eggs and DEVOUR chicken.

They are brutal, little, dinosaur beasts. If they were 300 lbs, they'd eat you in a heart beat.

HAHA! I did not know they would eat chicken and eggs...... Carnivores.... Attack of the Giant Killer Chickens:)

Yes chickens are carnivorous! They eat eggs, cat food and even each other if they are crowded when they are chicks
ep.gif
our Cornish hens will peck you when your not looking !

Back
Top Bottom