Ran out of feed and everything is closed! What can I feed my chickens?

And cat treats work well when you want to do poultry Showmanship
wee.gif

The question is, what can' t you feed them lol. I know they can eat most anything, and I have never been at a loss as to what ot feed my birds as far as scraps and left overs. What I would do hon is stock up on foods, for your animals and your house. Tough times do I see coming! Will be buying 300 pounds of chicken food next month to add to buckets for my five girls. Do not want to run out any time, on anything.

why do you say tough times are coming
hide.gif

My chickens eat more table scraps and forage than feed...I have a five pound rubber hog pan that I keep full of layer, BOSS, millet, and any other grain I have handy (right now, it is wild bird seed mix that was in a broken packadge and deeply discounted), and most of the time I don't even have to add feed to it cause my girls are more interested in the things I bring them, and what they find in the yard.

Yesterday they got an old head of lettuse, blue berries, old carrot chunks, apple cores, old snow peas, corn bread, tomatos, crushed boiled eggs, oatmeal (with cinnamon, nutmeg, flax seed, and quinoa) and yogurt. I keep a bowl on my counter and put scraps in it for the girls.

Of course, in the winter time, they eat more feed, but durring the summer, I hardly have to provide any feed at all. It's all about how much the land will support.

The question is, what can' t you feed them lol. I know they can eat most anything, and I have never been at a loss as to what ot feed my birds as far as scraps and left overs. What I would do hon is stock up on foods, for your animals and your house. Tough times do I see coming! Will be buying 300 pounds of chicken food next month to add to buckets for my five girls. Do not want to run out any time, on anything.

Wow, 300 pounds!! How many chickens do you have? I think if I bought that much, the last 100 pounds would go bad/expire before my chooks ever got to it. However, we don't have a really huge flock, only about 40 birds at the moment (about to be 35... mmm, them roosters are lookin' mighty tasty over there).

Get some wild bird seed or make up some porridge with oats and put a bit of seed in it.. we feed that to our chickens they love it!!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom