ran out of layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lorrireynolds, Jan 19, 2012.

1. lorrireynolds

lorrireynolds New Egg

May 8, 2010
    Capitol Hill Seattle
    I thought I had a 50 lb bag of feed, but it was scratch. I am stranded in a snowstorm in Seattle and won't be able to get any more until Saturday or Sunday. What can I feed them for a couple of days?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Scratch for a few day's won't hurt them. Egg production might dip a bit but they will be fine.

Good luck with the weather up there.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Depends on what you have? Greens are good , meat is good, other left overs are good. Little scratch is good. Chickens will eat darn near anything.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup. Just feed them what you have. They'll enjoy the change. A few days off their regular feed will be a welcome change. Don't be too surprised that they fall in love with all this and balk a little at the boring laying feed next week. They'll get over that too. One step at a time.

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I am in the same boat as you. I feed them old bread and scraps for few days until the Seattle Co-op open.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep they will be fine on people foods LOL! Oatmeal, rice with veggies, they LOVE them!

7. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    Don't be afraid of feeding them any and every table scrap you have, too. Chickens are great garbage disposals. The only thing mine don't eat are potato peels and large peppers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by