Random duck questions

MallardDuckling

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Montgomery County, Ohio
1.) All 4 of my ducklings have this yellow sport thoward the base of their tail, it looks like feathers, but I'm not sure what exactly it is. Any know?

2.) One of my ducklings randomly bites at the air. He's not going after bugs or anything. Could he be having trouble swollowing food? It's at random times too, he'll do it for awhile, then he'll be fine.

3.) Can you eat fertile eggs?

Relates to 3:
4.) I've been reading on here, the threads about inbreeding. I have sibling ducklings, and I'm not interested in offspring; 4 is about as many as I can handle right now. I'm interested in just the eggs. Would it be ok, if they breed and I collect the eggs daily?

Edit: Remembered my other questions.

Last edited:
1.) All 4 of my ducklings have this yellow sport thoward the base of their tail, it looks like feathers, but I'm not sure what exactly it is. Any know? No clue. What breed are they?

2.) One of my ducklings randomly bites at the air. He's not going after bugs or anything. Could he be having trouble swollowing food? It's at random times too, he'll do it for awhile, then he'll be fine. My ducks sometimes do that when they are thirsty.

3.) Can you eat fertile eggs? You sure can

Relates to 3:
4.) I've been reading on here, the threads about inbreeding. I have sibling ducklings, and I'm not interested in offspring; 4 is about as many as I can handle right now. I'm interested in just the eggs. Would it be ok, if they breed and I collect the eggs daily? Breeding is fine. It takes a few generations for the incest effects to take in.

Edit: Remembered my other questions.

They are Muscovies.

Do you have to do anything to the fertilized egg before you eat it? I hear you have to freeze it, but not sure if it's true.

Ok, just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt my exsisting ducks.

No freezing required. They won't incubate unless they have constant heat at I think like 90 degrees but I'm not sure on the exact number

Back
Top Bottom