Random Eggs smell like fish when cooking!

Cochinlover104

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
I've been scouring the internet trying to find information on WHY my eggs smell like fish when cooking! Ive had buff orpington hens for the past 4 years and last spring added 5 standard cochins and 3 black jersey giants. Suddenly this spring I now have eggs that smell like fish when cooking them, and have even had friends complain they tasted like fish!! I love providing myself and friends with fresh eggs but am unable to with this. Ive checked their layer time and again, no fish meal, or omega-3 anything in it. Nor do I feed them seafood scraps of any kind. PLEASE HELP!!
he.gif

Its not just from me, but with people I've given eggs to as well. Ive read numerous people having this problem and would like to know if/how to solve it. At first when my boyfriend told me the eggs I gave him smelled AND tasted like fish I thought he was just dillusional, and it can't be the pan in his house because he HATES fish. Then I got some that smelled fishy when scrambling them but I couldn't taste it.

Ive read added omega-3 to their food, fish meal, and flax seed can do this. I don't see flax listed nor anything else from that short list. Ive also seen articles that imply certain breeds of chickens are more suseptible to the fishy smell, just not sure which breeds they were referring too. They get veggies and get free rein of the backyard in the day time along with cracked corn and laying mash.

Ok, I have had the same issue ! This started about 2 months ago. Just feeding purina pellets and giving them corn for scratch and boss. I'm not happy, they taste fishy and I hate fish . I also have buffs and astrolorps. . Anyone ? ???

It's most probably the soy that is in most poultry feed.

Now, please understand, it's the chemistry in the individual hen's digestive system that may occasionally react with the soy that produces the fishy odor in the egg she lays. Soy by no means produces this fishy odor in all hens' eggs. Some breeds seem to be more susceptible than most.

If this has become a problem in your flock, then switching to a soy-free feed would be the first thing to try. But good luck finding a feed produced without soy.

I've heard some about soy in the feed as well. I've heard of ways to maybe neutralize the smell by feeding certain things? I heard parsley maybe? anyone have any ideas as far as this goes maybe since it seems to be random in my hens and I can't find a feed that works.

Back
Top Bottom