Random Flock Picture Time!

TheFluffyButt

Chirping
Jul 5, 2016
Hey Chickeroos,

It's time to share any picture of your flock!
If the picture has a story, be sure to include it!

Have a funny story without a picture;
Send through the story anyway, I'll definitely read it!

I'll start:
One day while riding to work, for some unknown reason I decide to go a different way which leads me through a park.

As soon as I enter the parking lot, I see this guy lying on the asphalt with his bike next to him.
I jump off my bike and approach the guy to see if he's okay.
He just told me he was riding through when he sees these two running around.

As he uncrosses his legs, these two tiny fluff balls run out and start peeping at my feet!
20161027_163012.jpg

My chicken senses start tingling and I ask the guy what he was planning on doing with them, he just says he'd take them to a local animal shelter.

I tell him not to worry about it since I have a flock at home.

2 hours later and the babies are settling into my back yard, where my other hens are staring on in jealousy.
20161102_180957.jpg

3 months later and they look like this:
20170219_101730.jpg

As it turns out, they're both roosters and having roosters in a suburban area in my part of town is against the law :barnie

I end up trading both of them in for 3 gorgeous hens! Now the family is up to 6 :yesss:
20170705_133948_001.jpg

Hey Chickeroos,

It's time to share any picture of your flock!
If the picture has a story, be sure to include it!

Have a funny story without a picture;
Send through the story anyway, I'll definitely read it!

I'll start:
One day while riding to work, for some unknown reason I decide to go a different way which leads me through a park.

As soon as I enter the parking lot, I see this guy lying on the asphalt with his bike next to him.
I jump off my bike and approach the guy to see if he's okay.
He just told me he was riding through when he sees these two running around.

As he uncrosses his legs, these two tiny fluff balls run out and start peeping at my feet!
View attachment 1237173

My chicken senses start tingling and I ask the guy what he was planning on doing with them, he just says he'd take them to a local animal shelter.

I tell him not to worry about it since I have a flock at home.

2 hours later and the babies are settling into my back yard, where my other hens are staring on in jealousy.
View attachment 1237176

3 months later and they look like this:
View attachment 1237198

As it turns out, they're both roosters and having roosters in a suburban area in my part of town is against the law :barnie

I end up trading both of them in for 3 gorgeous hens! Now the family is up to 6 :yesss:
View attachment 1237206
Great story! Even if it does kind of have a sad ending. I’m sorry you couldn’t keep them, but you got thee beautiful ladies instead! I’ll
Have to post my story in a sec.

This is Napoleon. He is almost two years old, and lives a princely life.
When he was a chick he was very snuggly and sweet. He loved to sleep on me inside my coat or he cuddled. It was before I knew he was a rooster that I promised him I would always love and protect him. Soon though it became evident that he was a cockerel, and I, knowing nothing of roosters, assumed he would be nice. Not so. He would peck my feet hard, and my sisters were afraid of him. My parents wanted me to give
him to a man who said he freeranges roosters. Does that sound logical? No it does not, who just freeranges a bunch of roosters? I knew that he killed them and I had made a promise to Napoleon. I managed to keep him until later that summer when we went on vacation, for two long weeks I was away for my babies! When we came back, I learned that a hawk had tried to eat some of the chickens, but then Napoleon ran out and attacked the hawk, and yanked out a tail feather. No hens were hurt and I assumed Napoleons fate was sealed. I mean, he just risked his life for the hens! It was happy and good until he learned of a great invention, Spurs. He started to attack me and my sisters but I still loved him and did everything I could to save him. My dad had actually called up the man and I was panicking, but then we left for the day and came home to feathers everywhere-the roosters and a black hens feathers. Though no hens were missing, one did have a wound in her side (not severe at all). My assumption was that a hawk came down, grabbed a hen, and then the rooster ran out and saved her. I am not entirely sure, but I think he may have fought a hawk off a third time, but anyway, he was a hero now. We didn’t get rid of him and I was completely happy. Until recently he spurred my sister in the ankle and she had to go to the hospital. Luckily there was no infection but this time I think my parents were serious. That cock has got to go! I wasn’t devastated because he and I were coming to a great understanding of each other. I sang to him, moisturized his comb when it got dry, made sure he was warm and inside when it was too cold because he gets frostbite, and tucked him in between warm hens every night. For whatever reason, we ended up keeping him. I was quiet about it, and he didn’t cause anymore trouble. He is going to be two in March and he is the bravest smartest rooster I’ve ever known. Whether it’s a butterfly, airplane, or hawk, he alerts the hens, he isn’t afraid of dogs or people, and would risk his life a million more times for the hens. He has definitely earned his right to live, and it will continue that way! And I still remember my promise to him.
Sorry that’s so long, but that’s the story that goes witht the pic!

IMG_20171201_172508_080.jpg

Here are my girls: Betty, Mavis, Rita and Vera. They are the first chickens I have owned although I do have some previous experience with livestock from volunteering on a local community farm. We've had them for around 5 months now. They used to perch on top of their coop like this all the time but they never do now as they have the full run of our back garden most of the time.

8487DB07-AF1A-4550-B8B7-25AD64B76C7B.jpeg
I just have to post about this! About a year ago, we had hatched our first batch of chicks for the season. They were mostly all Asil, so they grew considerably in just a month! It was miserably cold that year, and we couldn’t spare any extra heat lamps to send them outside. So we placed a wire over the top. Later that week, no one was in the house all day. We came home, and there was chicken poop all over the kitchen floor...two of the month old chicks had somehow escaped! We though they’d be easy to catch, but no. They had begun to discover they had wings, and they didn’t want to be caught! We cornered one, but that other chick was still running. But he saw his “escape”. A window. He took off running and flying, with his feet down/in front of him the way chickens do. He smashed feet first into the window and sat dazed for a few seconds before we caught him, and when we did, he started “screaming”, terrified that he had been caught. After we put them back in their little pen, we discovered a TINY hole where the wiring on top didn’t go close enough to the heat lamp. Both chicks were OK, and we had no other escapees! We named the one who hit the window Oswald, Ozzy for short. He is pictured up top!

Back
Top Bottom