Random muscovy killed almost ducklings

Jinji22

Hatching
Apr 6, 2020
I only have 2 ducks, they are a mating pair they have always gotten along so well as they were raised together. A month ago I'd say, this weird duck wondered into our yard I believe he is a muscovy as he is quite big with the red around his eyes and a little mohawk. I felt bad for him after I had done research on muscovy and I made the mistake of feeding him. Recently the female of my two ducks has layed her eggs and shes been really good with them and so has the male, he keeps a good distance while still protecting her and the eggs. I checked on them last night and the muscovy was in their enclosure with them they were all 3 around the pond. I found mom with broken bloody eggs clearly with what would have been babies, you could clearly see a baby in them. She was obviously really distraught and making a crying sort of sound. She had feathers ripped off the top of her head like where a male would mount her, I didnt see the wound earlier in the day when she came out to eat. I should mention that she never leaves the nest for long unless it's to eat or take a short walk. I found the muscovy with yolk all on his face and underneath him as well, he had been trying to fight with my male duck before the egg incident happened but puddles would stand his ground. I put the muscovy in a cage as two of the eggs survived and I didnt want him going back to finish them off in the night. The mom immediately went back to sitting on the surviving 2 after I cleaned up her other babies. I dont know what to do with the muscovy he is not my duck but I made the mistake of feeding him and even petting him and treating him like he was my own. I have him in a cage for now but it isnt very spacious and I cant readily make him an enclosure or make mom one. My female already seems distressed as she has become on edge and paranoid. I dont know what to do with him, I want all 3 of them to live peacefully, and of course I want the ducklings to hatch. What should I do?

It’s always best to keep a broody separated from the rest of the flock and I keep my Muscovy moms and their ducklings inside a temp fence with secure housing until they are 2-3 weeks old. This gives the other members of the flock time to adjust and also gives ducklings time to get acclimated to their new world and strong enough to keep out of the way of others once they are all let out into the general pop. As for 2 Muscovy drakes. I have never in my time of having Muscovy (2004) been able to keep adult Muscovy drakes together. They will not tolerate another drake. This has been my experience and mine have over a half acre to live on. This is fenced property. Could a predator got into the eggs an the drake be cleaning up? I can say I’ve never had any of my Muscovy drakes go after eggs or ducklings. But I have read of drakes killing ducklings. I’m sorry this has happened. If your wanting to rehome this one drake you could put him on Craig’s list. Or keep him caged but that doesn’t sound like a long term ideal situation.

It’s always best to keep a broody separated from the rest of the flock and I keep my Muscovy moms and their ducklings inside a temp fence with secure housing until they are 2-3 weeks old. This gives the other members of the flock time to adjust and also gives ducklings time to get acclimated to their new world and strong enough to keep out of the way of others once they are all let out into the general pop. As for 2 Muscovy drakes. I have never in my time of having Muscovy (2004) been able to keep adult Muscovy drakes together. They will not tolerate another drake. This has been my experience and mine have over a half acre to live on. This is fenced property. Could a predator got into the eggs an the drake be cleaning up? I can say I’ve never had any of my Muscovy drakes go after eggs or ducklings. But I have read of drakes killing ducklings. I’m sorry this has happened. If your wanting to rehome this one drake you could put him on Craig’s list. Or keep him caged but that doesn’t sound like a long term ideal situation.
I should have specified in my post I'm sorry, but my 2 ducks are not muscovy only the one that has wondered into our yard. They are fenced off and the mom has a little house to nest in. I'm new to the whole duck business. I believe my male is a white Pekin? And the female is a small all black duck. The female sort of resembles an Indian runner duck. I honestly just rescued them from tractor supply because they looked miserable. I dont plan to keep the muscovy in the cage long term my dad told me he saw a house with alot of muscovy in their yard I plan on talking to them and hopefully they claim him and that's that. Do you think it could be my pekin though? He seems to do well with the egglings and just sits beside the mom while she nest in her house. He calls her when I feed her and they seem to have a good relationship, they never fight and the indian runner stays by his side at all times.

Drakes are unpredictable when it comes to ducklings an some drakes will try an mate a female even when she is brooding and if that is what happened then very big possibility the egg got broken when that was going on. I’d keep mama separated. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. Might be the Muscovy drake flew off from this property and ended up at your place Muscovy can fly well even some drakes.

Beware though when these ducklings hatch you very well maybe faced with this dilemma again if you get more drakes.

I agree with this statement.

Technically, this muscovy faces charges of breaking and entering, assault with a deadly weapon (beak), murder in the 1st degree x # of ducklings. His rap sheet no doubt includes other crimes before this, as he's a hardened criminal with no remorse.

He was found with evidence of his own murders on his face, which adds cannibalism to the list of charges.

You must do what needs to be done. Inmate 2527 is to be sentenced this week. His punishment options include the options of being sent to the barbecue chamber, and to become a steak. (I think this is the best option to prevent future infanticides, plus fill many bellies with his meat. Win win situation for all except the ducklings he ate.)

Also some videos I was looking at, if you have the resources I wonder if you can keep the broody mother duck and duck eggs separate from the other ducks, the next time.

I do feel bad for you. It was probably quite sad to see in person what had happened. Its not your fault.

Sorry.

Thank you for making me laugh, this was my very first time having ducks so definitely hopefully sometime soon I can build her something for when she is brooding with her babies
We're with you on this. You have friends here.

Its hard when we get reminded how harsh life can be.

But when you send this inmate to the barbecue chamber, you will have the last laugh.

Drakes are unpredictable when it comes to ducklings an some drakes will try an mate a female even when she is brooding and if that is what happened then very big possibility the egg got broken when that was going on. I’d keep mama separated. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. Might be the Muscovy drake flew off from this property and ended up at your place Muscovy can fly well even some drakes.
Thank you so much for all your help, I really do appreciate it. I passed by the house on my way into town and I think he has 2 female muscovy waiting for him. I assume they are female because they didnt have the mohawk like hair on their head and their faces were white around(his is more dark with only white specks)the red. When I come back from town I plan on talking to the home owner and hopefully they're glad to see him.

Back
Top Bottom