Ooh! It's been so long!

The "new" girls:

Rue
20210727_132248.jpg

Hyacinth
20210727_132343.jpg

Clary
20210727_132310.jpg

I am feeling very discouraged again. One of my ducks has persistent bumblefoot that I've been treating for over a month now. I was feeling pretty good because I am seeing significant progress. One of her feet us completely healed. The other is getting there, slowly but surely.

But itsrained the past couple of days, and their run got wet in a couple of areas. It smells mucky. I try hard to keep it clean. And then Bryony, who is so so so far down the pecking order, is molting and looking very miserable. I noticed she was limping. I assumed it was bumblefoot because she's been prone to it in the past, but I saw that she list a toenail sometime in the last day or two. Poor girl. I brought her in to clean it up and check for infe tion or anything like that, and I see she has a significant comb injury that is healing. Looks like my rooster pretty much tore off her comb. He also damaged my Cochin's comb a while back, but not like this.

And when I gathered eggs, some if them were muddy. And I keep thinking of other's perfectly clean eggs and runs, and there perfectly feathered, happy chickens. And I can't help but think that I'm not very good at taking care of my birds. I love them dearly, and I do my best, but they don't free range on acres of sunny pasture. I live in the woods, and they'd get eaten if I did that. But maybe if I'd not bought them in the first place, they'd be gorgeously clean and fluffy and free and perfectly healthy like so many others' flocks.

I am feeling very discouraged again. One of my ducks has persistent bumblefoot that I've been treating for over a month now. I was feeling pretty good because I am seeing significant progress. One of her feet us completely healed. The other is getting there, slowly but surely.

But itsrained the past couple of days, and their run got wet in a couple of areas. It smells mucky. I try hard to keep it clean. And then Bryony, who is so so so far down the pecking order, is molting and looking very miserable. I noticed she was limping. I assumed it was bumblefoot because she's been prone to it in the past, but I saw that she list a toenail sometime in the last day or two. Poor girl. I brought her in to clean it up and check for infe tion or anything like that, and I see she has a significant comb injury that is healing. Looks like my rooster pretty much tore off her comb. He also damaged my Cochin's comb a while back, but not like this.

And when I gathered eggs, some if them were muddy. And I keep thinking of other's perfectly clean eggs and runs, and there perfectly feathered, happy chickens. And I can't help but think that I'm not very good at taking care of my birds. I love them dearly, and I do my best, but they don't free range on acres of sunny pasture. I live in the woods, and they'd get eaten if I did that. But maybe if I'd not bought them in the first place, they'd be gorgeously clean and fluffy and free and perfectly healthy like so many others' flocks.
:hugs Remember the term “trick photography”? Everyone has dirty eggs and molting chickens. I’ve had those same self doubts, it just means we’re not sociopaths or Heaven help us psychopaths, I think…:rolleyes:

You’re keeping your birds safe and that’s lots better than they might have ended up had they been someone else’s impulse buy. Furthermore they seem to like getting dirty! I hope you feel better!

I'm a little bothered lately by folks just bashing on each other and making others feel dumb. And the trolls. Who trolls a chicken board, anyway? And the influx of people trying to garner likes and followers.

I feel very stupid lately. I've done just fine raising chickens my way, but apparently I'm wrong for not using certain coops or certain substrates or certain breeds or certain feed.... And I'm clearly and idiot for not seeing my chickens as livestock. My religion and whole life's philosophy is built on the idea that a living creatures share the same energy. Gosh darn it! I hate being me some days.

Why cant people just presume positive intentions? Even the newest newbie wants the same thing we all do, right? To take care of our flocks? Or is it to fortify our egos? I'm not sure anymore.

Rant over.

I'm a little bothered lately by folks just bashing on each other and making others feel dumb. And the trolls. Who trolls a chicken board, anyway? And the influx of people trying to garner likes and followers.

I feel very stupid lately. I've done just fine raising chickens my way, but apparently I'm wrong for not using certain coops or certain substrates or certain breeds or certain feed.... And I'm clearly and idiot for not seeing my chickens as livestock. My religion and whole life's philosophy is built on the idea that a living creatures share the same energy. Gosh darn it! I hate being me some days.

Why cant people just presume positive intentions? Even the newest newbie wants the same thing we all do, right? To take care of our flocks? Or is it to fortify our egos? I'm not sure anymore.

Rant over.
There has been a lot of poor behavior every where lately. The pandemic brought it front and center, but for a while it seems like people have forgotten how to emphasize with others and build together as a community. There is still so much for us to learn from each other.

From what I have seen, you care a lot about your animals and strive to give them a good life. You are doing an amazing job.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas. Maybe our Christmas wishes will come true, and we will see some more human compassion in the world. :hugs

There has been a lot of poor behavior every where lately. The pandemic brought it front and center, but for a while it seems like people have forgotten how to emphasize with others and build together as a community. There is still so much for us to learn from each other.

From what I have seen, you care a lot about your animals and strive to give them a good life. You are doing an amazing job.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas. Maybe our Christmas wishes will come true, and we will see some more human compassion in the world. :hugs
All true words. The holidays are very hard for me, and I do try my best. Oh, but I want to SCREAM when I see people being so smug and dismissive. Like someone posts, "What feed should I use?" Someone responds with whatever it is they use only to be told "That's not organic or non-GMO. You clearly don't know what you're doing." Or "If your hen is sick or injured, it's your fault." Or "Raising chickens is easy, and you are doing it wrong if you have any problems." Or "If you don't kill your sick birds, that's just bad management." Gaahhh! Why is everyone so judgmental?!!

Yes. Compassion. I see it less and less these days, which is sadly ironic because it's during tough times that it's most needed.

Merry Christmas, friend. ❤️

Merry Christmas! I think that behavior is part and parcel of the anonymous nature of public forums. I have an aunt who says things on the phone she never would face to face. There are so many sweet people here, I have several threads I follow to detox the ones that get poisonous. :gigThe home bakers thread is really wonderful for that! If you get disgusted come on over and look at people’s cookies! It’ll take all that yuk right away!

I need to get updated pics of Rue, Hyacinth and Clary. Wish I had a better camera on this phone. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Buuuuuuut.... TSC strikes again, and i now have these two fluffballs:
20220312_084605.jpg

20220311_220125.jpg

20220314_204912.jpg

They are Saffron and Cayenne, two white Leghorns. They are supposedly pullets, but I'm getting cockerel vibes from Cayenne, who is crazy feisty.

I also have 5 pulleys on order for May: an Easter Egger, a fibro Easter Egger, a Cream Legbar, a Splash Marans, and a mystery chick. I hope they all arrive healthy.

Back
Top Bottom