Random poultry info

burdboy

Chirping
Apr 19, 2016
Post any info you have about poultry. Keep it Pg. this is just based on personal experience if you've had a different experience don't define someone else's thoughts.

I'll go first, ok so I have 4 adult roosters and have always had roosters I've never had an aggressive rooster what I've found works for having a "good" rooster is
1. Don't show fear
2. Don't be aggressive towards them
3. Handle them but not excessively
4. Allow them to be roosters

Post any info you have about poultry. Keep it Pg. this is just based on personal experience if you've had a different experience don't define someone else's thoughts.

I'll go first, ok so I have 4 adult roosters and have always had roosters I've never had an aggressive rooster what I've found works for having a "good" rooster is
1. Don't show fear
2. Don't be aggressive towards them
3. Handle them but not excessively
4. Allow them to be roosters
:thumbsup roosters are my best subject in chickens. The four things you listed are four of the main things I tell people. Looks like I'm getting the opportunity to raise a 6th rooster with my new chicks, so I can't wait to see how he turns out. I am recording everything I do differently with each rooster and the outcome of the personality.

idunno.gif
My leghorn rooster is so mean! He wont let me enter the coup without a stick to keep him away with! But I always handled him until he got to aggressive to catch, not sure what I did wrong

:idunno My leghorn rooster is so mean! He wont let me enter the coup without a stick to keep him away with! But I always handled him until he got to aggressive to catch, not sure what I did wrong 
you might have to replace him or you might try to gain his respect. Don't show him that your scared.

A kick across the run seems brief. Not enough time for him to associate it and you. If you can, maybe try pinning or holding him if possible. Again, don't show fear, as the others have said. You need to establish yourself as the alpha of the flock.

Some folks say if you catch him breeding a hen in front of you, you should knock him off., like an alpha rooster would. When you walk thru the area you should walk right into him like you don't even notice. I don't have a rooster so I don't know if any of this works or not. I think he would just get madder. I've also heard the meanest roos make the best soup.

I was ignorant with my first roo and he attacked me once (before going to the crockpot). These days I only make sure he remains a healthy distance from me. If a roo begins to approach me I walk towards them and make sure they get out of my way. I do it on an almost daily basis, just to make sure they remember. I've had 3 since then and I've not had a problem. This link makes for interesting reading.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1101665/the-complete-life-cycle-of-a-mostly-happy-rooster

Anyone got anymore info on chickens beside roosters? Like individual breeds egg laying anything really doesn't even need to be about chickens it can be Guineas Ducks geese peafowl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom