Random question about being "humane"....

For me the quickest and cleanest way is a empty grocery bag and a sharp pair of scissors for a baby chick. Done in 2 seconds. You can be assured there is no suffering at all.

Ether has been used to euthanise too.

Ten minutes in a container with ether and the chick will sleep then die.

It is commonly used to kill lab mice, etc.

I've always been taught drowning is the most humane way. I know with lame goats and sheep it's done that way.

My wife had to put a chick down a few days ago. She said she bawled her eyes out. She's never killed an animal before I don't think, I've alwyas had to do it. Well, after that experience another chick had to go down and she just couldn't do it. I felt bad as then the chick had to suffer
sad.png

I hate this topic!
smile.png

Quote:
yeah .... drowning is about the most inhumane way
smile.png

I know it's widely practised. It shouldn't be, it should be illegal. Simple as that.

Last edited:
I know that many people believe that drowning is most humane, but let me pose this line of thought to you. Have you ever been held under water for any period of time, unable to get to the surface to take a breath. If you haven't, take from me, it is terrifying. In my humble opinion, I think that that would be traumatizing, not only for the animal before it dies, but also for the person doing the drowning. Drowning, I believe, would be by no means "quick" either. I am certainly not attacking anyone who uses this method, just putting my thoughts out there.
smile.png

I am certainly not attacking anyone who uses this method, just putting my thoughts out there. smile

I'm a little more *hardline* than you.

I AM attacking this practise. It is more than possible that innocent people genuinely believe it to be humane.

Well you have just been told it isn't, so now there is no excuse. Quit doing it
smile.png

A few weeks ago I had to euthanize a chick. I won't go into any details, but it was awful...I've never deliberately killed a living think with my bare hands (besides a mosquito or a fly) and if I am ever in the same situation I will SOMEHOW find someone else to do it.

We have always used an axe and chopping block for the chickens.... small chicks ether/starter fluid in a container...

Back
Top Bottom