Random question =)

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by magicpigeon, Dec 29, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Howdy [​IMG]

I've got a 3 year old pigeon whose friend accidentally flew away and i'm considering buying her a new mate. My question is, can a 3 year old pigeon still lay fertile eggs and hatch them? Her previous "partner" was another female. I'm just wondering seeing as she still does lay the occasional egg which goes to waste seeing as I have no idea what to do with pigeon eggs [​IMG]

Thankss [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    My mom gots birds older than that by a long shot that still does. Good luck with her.

3. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    Yes they can

4. Tippler

Tippler Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Desert Hills (PHX)
    Pigeon will stay fertile for a good amount of time. I know of multiple reports of birds over 10 years producing, both cocks and hens.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have had pigeons, both hens and cocks, that remained fertile until their teens.

6. Night_Wolf_Lofts

Night_Wolf_Lofts Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Absolutely, some of them can stay fertile for very long periods of time. [​IMG] A friend of mine has an awesome roller hen that is still producing and she is 15 years old. [​IMG]

A guy in our race club just lost a foundation plum cock last year that was 24 years old and he sired 2 rounds of eggs that were both all fertile and the young came out just fine. So he was fertile up until his last breath. [​IMG]

Justin
    Aquatic Wilds
    Night Wolf Lofts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by