Random rant

Quote:
The shed wasn't being occupied by anything important so I decided to use it for a bird shed.
smile.png

My husband and I have this mantra that we say when we are working on stuff for the birds. It goes "its only a chicken coop". Neither of us are what you would call handy, and it shows.

Quote:
The shed wasn't being occupied by anything important so I decided to use it for a bird shed.
smile.png

I think that was REALLY good thinking!!!!

It's attached to the garage so I never half to go out in the winter to let them out. It's easy then trampoling threw snow.
smile.png

mom'sfolly :

My husband and I have this mantra that we say when we are working on stuff for the birds. It goes "its only a chicken coop". Neither of us are what you would call handy, and it shows.

I'm not all that handy either but I want it to look at least decent.​

Quote:
I'm sure A LOT of members would be really envious of that feature.

My "roosts" are part of a wooden swingset that I drug into the coop for the birds to perch on. You can see part of them here:

7479_100_1303.jpg

Quote:

My "roosts" are part of a wooden swingset that I drug into the coop for the birds to perch on. You can see part of them here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7479_100_1303.jpg

She is right - you actually have a lot more going for your coop with your current set up than alot of us do. Chin up fellow chicken lover!!!!

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7479_100_1303.jpg

She is right - you actually have a lot more going for your coop with your current set up than alot of us do. Chin up fellow chicken lover!!!!

I want to atleast divide the shed in half to keep the chicks on one side and off my cages.
smile.png

Quote:
ohh gosh don't feel so bad......I recently spent about 300 bucks in materials for a new 8x8 coop and I specially told my dh how I wanted it to look, because its 8x8 there was no cutting to be done at all he just had to screw the frames together and then place the plywood over it. Well I left for work and came home to find a sort of lean-to chicken coop, uhmm not what I had told him I wanted. the roof wasn't on right and there is a 8 inch gap on one side of it. the walls too are not on right and for what ever reason, he felt the need to cut the plywood, so I got cut pieces everywhere, and that is not even the half of it, he cut a door out from a sheet of plywood and so not straight, I wasn't sure what to say to him, but he said he had worked on it all day, so I said its not exactly what I had pictured, but when its done the chickens will be real happy.

Truthfully the roof leaks, the door is not secure and I fear a slight wind will knock it down, If I didn't know any better I would think he was drinking prior to building, but he doesn't drink, lol. Either way, there is absolutely no way for me to get up there and do the roof myself, I am too short and I have a fear of ladders, lol, but I do plan on taking the whole thing down as soon as he leaves for work, and will get the neighbour to help me with the roof, might have to buy a couple more sheets of plywood to replace the ones he cut. Frankly, I much rather have them in a shed then in that coop he built. by the way, there is a ton of nails and screws exposed on the inside of the coop, sooo not safe for the chickens,

and the funny part is he is real good at building things, not really sure what happened with that coop, a vision that didn't quite turn out for him I suppose, lol.

You have it as a budgie coop too? Way to go!!! I used to have doves in an outdoor aviary a long long time ago. Budgies are so cool. So by "shear it up better" what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about needing more wood and wire or just making it more aesthetically appealing to your eye? If you're just wanting to pretty it up a little bit, maybe some paint and plants around it?

I have someone coming over Monday morning to plan for the roof on my run. There's currently no rain protection out there and I want corrugated (sp?) panels that 'll shield them from the rain but still let light in. When that's done, I'll be hanging flowering baskets on the posts and putting more plants around it.

Why don't you post some pictures? Everyone in here has great ideas!

Back
Top Bottom