Random rant

Quote:
ohh gosh don't feel so bad......I recently spent about 300 bucks in materials for a new 8x8 coop and I specially told my dh how I wanted it to look, because its 8x8 there was no cutting to be done at all he just had to screw the frames together and then place the plywood over it. Well I left for work and came home to find a sort of lean-to chicken coop, uhmm not what I had told him I wanted. the roof wasn't on right and there is a 8 inch gap on one side of it. the walls too are not on right and for what ever reason, he felt the need to cut the plywood, so I got cut pieces everywhere, and that is not even the half of it, he cut a door out from a sheet of plywood and so not straight, I wasn't sure what to say to him, but he said he had worked on it all day, so I said its not exactly what I had pictured, but when its done the chickens will be real happy.

Truthfully the roof leaks, the door is not secure and I fear a slight wind will knock it down, If I didn't know any better I would think he was drinking prior to building, but he doesn't drink, lol. Either way, there is absolutely no way for me to get up there and do the roof myself, I am too short and I have a fear of ladders, lol, but I do plan on taking the whole thing down as soon as he leaves for work, and will get the neighbour to help me with the roof, might have to buy a couple more sheets of plywood to replace the ones he cut. Frankly, I much rather have them in a shed then in that coop he built. by the way, there is a ton of nails and screws exposed on the inside of the coop, sooo not safe for the chickens,

and the funny part is he is real good at building things, not really sure what happened with that coop, a vision that didn't quite turn out for him I suppose, lol.

The doors on my shed ain't the nicest either but it works I didn't fix the roof though I had someone else do that because I didn't know how the floor is dirt so I took the extra wood use for the roof as a temporary floor the shed had no windows so I have to keep both doors open during the day to ventilate it. So it's not all that great but it works for now.

I don't show my chickens the very creative coops I see on this site. So they think Home Sweet Home! Everyone has a different space, need, climate, view, etc. I really envy the country folk who can spread OUT and have tons of room. My backyard is a city backyard, so the coop cannot be the focus point, my own criteria. so it is small (in comparison to many) and off to the side and so far so good. figure we will work it out as they grow and we learn. Enjoy your chickens. As someone has told me here, Keeping them SAFE is #1.

Quote:
So true.

OP, after this economy crash I know of humans living in sheds. Literally. And doing ok with it. They're happy to have any place to lay their head after losing everything they had, and I'm sure chickens don't give a whit what their place looks like.
smile.png
Your shed sounds really good for the chickens!

Back
Top Bottom