Random three and a half week old chick death

asachicken

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2021
yesterday morning i came to the brooder and everyone was doing great, i was talking with family about how we had even saved a couple chicks in the beginning that were going to die, happy that everyone was healthy, and then later in the evening out of nowhere a chick was super lethargic, sleeping and not wanting to stand up, letting other chicks step on her, not responding or moving to any kind of obvious disturbance that the other chicks would move away from; immediately i came to the site and tried to find out what it could be and what to do, her poop was fine, no pasty butt, no kind of sign of sickness just super super sleepy and unresponsive, their temperature was at what it needed to be at and when i held her she wasn’t cold or hot, and she felt the same as every other chick besides that she was limp, lethargic looking, unresponsive and sleepy. i thought that maybe she needed rest, since i couldn’t quite figure out what was wrong i didn’t want to stress her out more, i gave her water on her beak and she drank that, with her eyes closed. i went inside to research more about what i could do and how to perk her up and then when i went back out to the brooder she was convulsing? she couldn’t get up although she was trying to, and i’m not sure if it was some sort of a seizure? i’ve looked up what happened and nothing is exactly what happened last night, usually the chick is sick or something apparent is wrong, but with her it was super sodden with no explanation of heat or cold...
i’m thinking maybe some kind of concussion? we have a roosting stick in the brooder and sometimes the chicks get excited and bonk their heads on it, but it never seems to really effect them.
i wish i could’ve done something sooner, i just don’t know if my over analyzing of her killed her or if my leaving her alone was. i tried to revive her by stroking her as i had been doing before she died, i put her in a towel and took a hair drier on warm and had a family member try to heart it up from below but it didn’t do anything. after that, i cleaned out their brooder a bit and changed their feed and water, just to be safe. i know chick deaths can occur with no apparent reason, but i really just want to put this out there to see if anyone can see my mistakes and help me out for the future and for the better of the rest of the chicks. note: everyone else is fine, healthy, drinking water and eating food, i will check and see if anyone is sick throughout the day but so far everyone is great. Another question: do my other baby chicks know or get depressed when another baby chick dies? i’ve tried googling this for a kiddo, but all i’m getting is Peta videos promoting veganism.(nothing wrong with veganism, it’s just not what i’m looking for.)

Sorry for your loss, and welcome to BYC. At this age, chicks may die of coccidiosis or being a weak failure to thrive chick. There also could be some sort of organ failure. Your state vet can usually do a necropsy to find a cause of death, especially if it is something contagious.

Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, diarrhea with either mucus or blood, standing puffed up or hunched, and not eating. Corid is the usual treatment, and that can be found at most feed stores in the US. Your vet can do a fecal float on some fresh droppings for the presence of a great number of coccidia.

Sorry for your loss, and welcome to BYC. At this age, chicks may die of coccidiosis or being a weak failure to thrive chick. There also could be some sort of organ failure. Your state vet can usually do a necropsy to find a cause of death, especially if it is something contagious.

Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, diarrhea with either mucus or blood, standing puffed up or hunched, and not eating. Corid is the usual treatment, and that can be found at most feed stores in the US. Your vet can do a fecal float on some fresh droppings for the presence of a great number of coccidia.
The exact same thing happened to my one week old chick today. I’m heartbroken. I feel helpless. Did you ever figure out what happened?

Back
Top Bottom