Randy-my absent minded cockerel

Matejka

Free Ranging
Randy is 3 1/2 months old.
3 different times he has forgotten the girls.
2 days in a row, at dusk I see the girls prowling the pasture by the coop-no Randy. I call and he comes out of the coop, realizes the girls are out and rounds then up, gets them to bed.
This morning he is at the house, no girls in sight, I call and they all come from behind the barn running, he runs out and rejoins them. I know he's young, will he outgrow this?

Randy is 3 1/2 months old.
3 different times he has forgotten the girls.
2 days in a row, at dusk I see the girls prowling the pasture by the coop-no Randy. I call and he comes out of the coop, realizes the girls are out and rounds then up, gets them to bed.
This morning he is at the house, no girls in sight, I call and they all come from behind the barn running, he runs out and rejoins them. I know he's young, will he outgrow this?

That is still young, even if he looks like an adult he is still a youngster in his brain. I think he’ll get better. He’s a teenager right now and you know what they can be like🤪

The issue isn't so much Randy outgrowing his indifference and neglect of the hens, but growing into his role as flock protector. He's pre-hormonal right now, and in another two or three months, hormones will change everything for Randy.

Once the hormones kick in, Randy will discover sex and will begin to make a pest of himself experimenting with his new "powers". But he'll still be a long way from fitting into his future role as flock protector.

Bit by bit, over this next year, Randy will come to view the hens as his flock and he will slowly understand it's in his best interests, as well as the flock's welfare, to stand alert over the hens while they are out and about exposed to possible dangers.

I've watched young cockerels go through this transformation, and it doesn't happen overnight just because he's a male chicken. It requires time, sometimes up to two years, for a cockerel to become a rooster with all of its benefits and responsibilities.

That is still young, even if he looks like an adult he is still a youngster in his brain. I think he’ll get better. He’s a teenager right now and you know what they can be like🤪
That's my thought also. It's still unsettling seeing the girls prowling around outside, unprotected, while he lounges in the house. Hmmm, sounds like some men I know ;)

The issue isn't so much Randy outgrowing his indifference and neglect of the hens, but growing into his role as flock protector. He's pre-hormonal right now, and in another two or three months, hormones will change everything for Randy.

Once the hormones kick in, Randy will discover sex and will begin to make a pest of himself experimenting with his new "powers". But he'll still be a long way from fitting into his future role as flock protector.

Bit by bit, over this next year, Randy will come to view the hens as his flock and he will slowly understand it's in his best interests, as well as the flock's welfare, to stand alert over the hens while they are out and about exposed to possible dangers.

I've watched young cockerels go through this transformation, and it doesn't happen overnight just because he's a male chicken. It requires time, sometimes up to two years, for a cockerel to become a rooster with all of its benefits and responsibilities.
He is thinking about sex now, so far the girls squawk and run, but he's trying. Thank you for your insight

You really don't get a good rooster until they are about a year of age. Once I had a year old rooster, my day time predation always drops. The trouble is keeping a good rooster!

However, not all roosters are good roosters. When you have a good one, such a pleasure. My second rooster, Captain, was the best I have ever had, and I must have had 5-6 now.

He is too young to judge, but he should respect you, moving off when you come in to the set up, somehow, he should be placed about 5 feet away from you, and the girls mostly behind him. He should be the first bird to see you, when you come up to them.

I love having a good rooster, good luck.
Mrs K

You really don't get a good rooster until they are about a year of age. Once I had a year old rooster, my day time predation always drops. The trouble is keeping a good rooster!

However, not all roosters are good roosters. When you have a good one, such a pleasure. My second rooster, Captain, was the best I have ever had, and I must have had 5-6 now.

He is too young to judge, but he should respect you, moving off when you come in to the set up, somehow, he should be placed about 5 feet away from you, and the girls mostly behind him. He should be the first bird to see you, when you come up to them.

I love having a good rooster, good luck.
Mrs K
So far, so good, we had a few days where he tried to show me who's boss, but that got straightened out real fast. He usually first to greet girlies behind him, just need to get himxfocused. He'll learn.

Back
Top Bottom