Range feeder/ outside feeder

jamband

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I am thinking about moving food out of the coop to encourage more roaming etc but the only range feeders I can find are 100 bucks plus and hold 50lbs at a time. I dont need that and dont want to spend 100 bucks either. Are there other ones out there I cant find or has anyone designed a homemade one? Obviously it needs to keep the feed dry from rain. thanks

I made a treadle feeder from a piece of plywood and you won't have to worry about most other creatures eating the chicken food. I got the idea and plans from a genius BYC members award winning plan "Gallo del Cielo". I have to warn you though it is very heavy and can hold a lot of food, but it was pretty cheap to make and I think is a perfect free range type feeder. Just follow the plans and go with the 2.0 version at the bottom and read about the changes and adjustments.

check out this link if you're interested.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=56638-building-a-treadle-feeder

Last edited:
Here is a pic of mine actually being used, as I said before mine don't free range but I think it would be a perfect free range feeder.
83761_picture_02z9.jpg

83761_picture_0z24.jpg

can you just build a little shelter over the feeder, so it won't matter if it is open or not?
I use the galvanized feeders they sell at all farm and ranch stores...just try to cover it to protect it from the weather...

you want them to roam more, so you want to feed them outside? why not just open the run and throw some scratch on the ground
to get them going...they shouldn't need any encouragement to roam...

Quote:
I rotate them them through a 6 paddock system so i need something easy to move plus i move their water which is outside every day or 2 as well. its not the feeding them outside thats so important to me they just end up hanging in the coop more because they eat in there .

Back
Top Bottom