range feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cybercat, Jan 31, 2011.

1. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Does anyone that free ranges use a range feeder? Most of the time I just put feed on the ground but we will be expanding flock. So I am thinking of a feeder I will not have to fill everyday in winter and fall. So what experiances has everyone had with these outdoor feeders. Thanks.

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I free range chickens and ducks. They all come back to the coop at night but I have rubber tubs, pans, trash can lids and anything else that holds food in them out where they can get to them. I like plastic because I want to be able to get old food out before it gets moldy and be able to clean by using soap and water. The big rubber tubs are the best!

I do not like the really big feeders because I put out too much grain and feed tons of wild birds, wild turkey, possums, raccoons and deer. I try to put only enough for the day so i am not luring in other animals. Though the deer and turkey are okay. Yum!

3. cybercat

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I found on page 42 an ad for grandpas poultry feeder in backyard poultry mag. This one open when chickens step on platform so only chickens get the feed. It is made out of steel. I was tlking about the big plastic ones I have seen in my catalogs but this looks interesting. they say it will hold up to 20lbs of feed for the standard size large holds 40lbs. A feeder in winter would be a good thing here.

4. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. cybercat

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    For some reason link will not work.

6. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps