RANT about bad owners! >:(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FarmerGrant011, Oct 8, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I was at a Stable that my friend keeps her horse at and I posted a video of some "luckier" chickens:

and they were in better, but I snuck into a stall that was boarded up. I kept on hearing crowing which was no good sign to hear [​IMG] I look in and I SWEAR the spurs were like 2 inches long!!!! There were three roosters and one hen, all in separate cages. They had scars all over. I was trying to get pics but then someone yelled "HEY! YOU KIDS, get out of there!" and I got out quick! I only got picture of the hen, sorry I am going up there next week to get some more pictures. It was just so sad. What breed is it, just curious? I don't have proof that they are fighting. Here is a picture of the female. I deleted some of the stuff I said because I did sound a bit controlling.

[​IMG]

As you can tell, the water is horrible. No food available. She was very jumpy to, like whenever a noise was made she would fly into the side. Next time I will go and get some better pics and evidence.

Please give me advice and feedback on what I should do!

Grant

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. nincomcoop

nincomcoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:I know you want to do the right thing here, but I would recommend making a report to animal control and allow them to investigate, etc.

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:I know you want to do the right thing here, but I would recommend making a report to animal control and allow them to investigate, etc.

I agree.
    It could be too dangerous for a young person to get involved all by themselves.
    What i would worry about is if you warn him or threaten him with cops then he may dispose of the evidence if you know what i mean...
    So if i was you i would act oblivious too the situation, so he doesn't know that the cops have been alerted.
    The most i feel that you personally could do is buy the hen from him, then at least you would have evidence of cruelty.
    Sadly there are always going to be animal abusers like this out there. If you want to help them alert people like the ASPCA or even PETA.
    You can ask them to let your identity stay anonymous if you like.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If they are involved in illegal activities, you do not want to be directly involved and having them know about it! Please get a trusted adult involved and have them contact the authorities.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    This is why animal control exists (well at least partially).
    Call them and make sure you do not act differently if you ever go back there again.
    PLEASE be careful. People can be dangerous. (serious)

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Report it to the authorities in your area, do not get involved directly if you think this is dangerous situation. A chicken's life is not worth risking yours for, however bad you might feel for the animals. If the roosters have been used for fighting it may not be safe to even try and handle them.

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I see you're from Sugar Land. The animal cruelty laws in Texas were just revamped this year. Call animal control or the police.

OldGuy43 [​IMG]

8. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:revamped in what way?

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    First, I understand that you are truely concerned for the chickens. I would be upset it I thought someone was fighting birds too.

I do wonder what makes you so sure that is what is happening there though.

1) Crowing. Roosters crow. It is normal behavior.

2) Spurs. Not everyone cuts spurs. I do not trim them unless they are causing a problem with the roo. One of my boys has at least 2 inch spurs. They will help him defend himself and the flock should a predator try to attack. He has already won a battle with a hawk.

3) Scars. Several of mine have scars caused be running into fences, scraping themselves on who knows what, and even the occasional spar with one another (no human encouragement at all.)

4) Isolation. I use isolation areas to allow injured, ill, or broodies to recover away from the flock. New birds also spend time in quarantine before being introduced to the flock.

If you still feel that they are fighting the birds, call animal control. You should not do anything more. The only definate thing that I saw wrong was the lack of clean water for the hen.

10. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by