Rant: Cat killed my free-range chickens

easybeart

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
Today my neighbor's cat killed my sweet little Pumpkin. I heard my girls making a ruckus outside so I went to go check, and all I saw was the cat munching on poor Pumpkin's body.

Why are cats allowed to freely roam and enter other people's property, kill my girls, poop all over my garden, and kill other small local birds/animals??? Like, I don't let my girls fly over the fence and poop all over my neighbor's property? It is unfair that my girls can't safely free-range in my backyard because these dumb cats are allowed to roam. We don't even have other natural threats like raccoons or foxes to worry about! And I have plenty of aerial coverage so no problems with hawks either! Just these dumb cats!!!

I raise smaller breeds like bantams and silkies so they can't protect themselves as well as other larger breeds. No roosters allowed in my neighborhood either. Now I am considering enclosing my girls in a run, which is going to cost me some money.

Sorry for the rant. I am just so upset my Pumpkin is gone... :hit

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for everyone's kind words. I set up a temporary enclosure using some spare garden wire mesh. Hopefully it will keep the cat out. But it is sad seeing my girls all confused and trying to escape the enclosure. They miss their backyard. Hope they get used to it.

But I swear, if that cat ever comes back to attack my chickens, there will be consequences!! For now, my sister has been scooping up the cat's poop in a bag and one day we will throw it all back to the neighbor's yard.
What about lighting the bag full of cat crap and placing it on the neighbors front porch then ding dong ditching them? Neighbor sees burning bag and stomps it out, cat crap goes everywhere, everyone laughs! Well almost everyone!

Today my neighbor's cat killed my sweet little Pumpkin. I heard my girls making a ruckus outside so I went to go check, and all I saw was the damn cat munching on poor Pumpkin's body.

Why are cats allowed to freely roam and enter other people's property, kill my girls, shit all over my garden, and kill other small local birds/animals??? Like, I don't let my girls fly over the fence and shit all over my neighbor's property? It is unfair that my girls can't safely free-range in my backyard because these dumb cats are allowed to roam. We don't even have other natural threats like raccoons or foxes to worry about! And I have plenty of aerial coverage so no problems with hawks either! Just these dumb cats!!!

I raise smaller breeds like bantams and silkies so they can't protect themselves as well as other larger breeds. No roosters allowed in my neighborhood either. Now I am considering enclosing my girls in a run, which is going to cost me some money.

Sorry for the rant. I am just so upset my Pumpkin is gone... :hit
I called the police because my neighbor didn't contain his dogs. I lived in the Hoosier National Forest and the police came and gave the guy a warning. It helped because he knew I was serious. He actually called me and was mad that he had to keep his dogs penned.
If I were you, I'd catch the cats in a trap and take to animal shelter. I would then set up an electric perimeter.
It makes me mad that people think it's okay if their animals wander freely, saying the animals need their freedom to roam, (and don't care if they get killed and/or bother other people's property).

Back
Top Bottom