Rant: Cat killed my free-range chickens

Thank you for everyone's kind words. I set up a temporary enclosure using some spare garden wire mesh. Hopefully it will keep the cat out. But it is sad seeing my girls all confused and trying to escape the enclosure. They miss their backyard. Hope they get used to it.

But I swear, if that cat ever comes back to attack my chickens, there will be consequences!! For now, my sister has been scooping up the cat's poop in a bag and one day we will throw it all back to the neighbor's yard.

Thank you for everyone's kind words. I set up a temporary enclosure using some spare garden wire mesh. Hopefully it will keep the cat out. But it is sad seeing my girls all confused and trying to escape the enclosure. They miss their backyard. Hope they get used to it.

But I swear, if that cat ever comes back to attack my chickens, there will be consequences!! For now, my sister has been scooping up the cat's poop in a bag and one day we will throw it all back to the neighbor's yard.
What about lighting the bag full of cat crap and placing it on the neighbors front porch then ding dong ditching them? Neighbor sees burning bag and stomps it out, cat crap goes everywhere, everyone laughs! Well almost everyone!

I called the police because my neighbor didn't contain his dogs. I lived in the Hoosier National Forest and the police came and gave the guy a warning. It helped because he knew I was serious. He actually called me and was mad that he had to keep his dogs penned.
If I were you, I'd catch the cats in a trap and take to animal shelter. I would then set up an electric perimeter.
It makes me mad that people think it's okay if their animals wander freely, saying the animals need their freedom to roam, (and don't care if they get killed and/or bother other people's property).
Unfortunately where we live out in the country, stray/feral cats are part of the landscape. There are so many barns and many folks don’t spay/neuter their barn cats (It should be a law for cats and dogs, IMO). Get rid of one, three more move in. Part of the reason we took in the three that we have, aside from the medical issues they had and needed help, was to keep other more wild, feral cats off our property, along with rodent control. I have caught a couple of feral males and took them to the shelter for neutering and then released them, but there are just more out there that aren’t fixed. The neighbor who lives behind us lets his dogs roam, “they are trained not to leave my yard”. Unfortunately he gets drunk and passes out and his dogs are left outside unsupervised. One of his dogs treed one of my cats on OUR property and injured him, costing us $500. I politely asked him to keep his dogs off our property and he blamed me because there is cat food on the front porch that his dogs want to eat. My husband has since built gates to keep his dogs off our porch but the cats can still get through. Next time it happens we’re going to continue the fence to the end of the road to keep his dogs off our property; I just hope it doesn‘t come to that. Normally, if I had a cat I adopted from a shelter, I would keep it indoors, like I did with previous cats we had. The three we have now are just uused to being outdoors. We also have thee Siberian Huskies, and the two don’t mix well at all. Having spoke with the all of the neighbors closest to us (there is at least two acres between houses) none of them mind if the cats hunt on their properties or enter their barns, saying that’s how it is here in the country. Now, if we lived where we used to live in an HOA-controlled subdivision where properties are close to one another, that would be a totally different issue - no outdoor cats. You did the right thing by calling the authorities on your neighbor’s dogs - he’s an ahole for turning this around on you when he is the one at fault. He is a bad dog owner and shouldn’t be allowed to keep them if that is his attitude. I’m sure there is an ordinance where you live that dogs are not allowed to roam freely and your neighbor could be cited next time (hopefully there won’t be a next time).

Back
Top Bottom