Rant...Fatties allowed two airline seats in Canada

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MayberrySaint, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssAirlines/idUSN2039776920081120

In
    a brilliant stroke of enabling...the Canadian government has decided that obesity is a handicap and that fat people deserve two seats for the price of one.

As a former, frequent flier I dreaded a flight when I was crammed into a seat next to an overweight passenger, so in some ways I guess this is a good ruling for non-fat passengers. However, it is patently unfair to the airlines to have to provide an extra free seat. This increase in cost will just be passed on to the other passengers.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

As an undertall woman, I will keep my mouth shut. [​IMG]

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Well, as a former "fattie" I say thank you Mayberry Saint for your wonderfully insightful post. I always suspected the people sitting next to me were disgusted, but now I know for sure. Thank you for confirming that [​IMG]

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Some people really are handicapped, some have health problems that cause them to be overweight. Other people don't, and it's truly the result of laziness. I think there should be some standard where if a person is MEDICALLY considered handicapped/has health problems that cause obesity, they should only have to pay for one seat. But those who are not medically considered disabled should pay for two. Age plays a bigs part, metabolic problems, etc. Of course, in this economy not too many people can afford health insurance....There's no easy answer. I don't think it's fair to single out obese people without knowing the reason behind whatever is going on. I am not obese but I am overweight, and I gained weight when I quit smoking. No matter how many calories I cut out of my diet or how much exercise I did, I couldn't stop gaining weight. I finally leveled off when I started smoking again. I don't have insurance so I couldn't go to the DR to get some tests or medication for my metabolism. Fat people are people too....I think the annoying, loud, obnoxious man in the aisle in front of me should have to pay for a whole section.....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Don't worry about the cost thing. The fashion industry is making up the difference by charging me substantially more for my fat clothes than it is for "normal" clothes. And don't give me that line about it costing more to make. An XL is the same size as a 1x. They're just proportioned differently. AND my 1X is smaller than men's XL and XL+ and those clothes still cost less. [​IMG]

(My mom has ceased to fly because it hurts to cram into the narrow seats. She now drives all day for three days to see her grandchildren so she doesn't have to deal with airplanes...)

Thanks for being understanding... [​IMG]

6. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    I wish the airlines would discount tickets for people subjected to sharing air space with passengers like you...

Good thing you're not Canadian, eh?! I think you should stick to airlines that advocate for other ignorant, opinionated people to spout off offensive comments in inappropriate places!

Have a good day. [​IMG]

(and no, I'm not morbidly obese...just repulsed by ignorance and insensitivity)

...and in a brilliant stroke of stupidity I think you may have alienated yourself from several, kind and sensitive members of this board. Think before you "rant".

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Just curious - has anyone hit the report button yet? [​IMG]

8. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    OOOOOHHHHH VIE!!!.....here we go ....making the world a better place to live....

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    (and no, I'm not morbidly obese...just repulsed by ignorance and insensitivity)

[​IMG] And you're a Tubby Chicken! [​IMG]

10. smileybritches

smileybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

way too stressful to fly anymore....[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by