Rant ! I'm Going Crazy !

Quote:
So true! Teen agers very rarely think their, or their friends parents are being fair. Your viewpoint will definately change when you become a parent of teenagers.

In most school districts I know of in our state he wouldn't be allowed to participate in track with a failing grade whether his parents grounded him from it or not.

For only one failing class he wouldn't be able to compete at meets, just run practice. He would have post practice for his grade too and they would make him run extra for it. Two failing classes is when you can't practice or compete until you get your grade up. Three failing your cut off the team.

Wait a minute. . .

It sounds like you like your boyfriend a lot, and it also sounds like he has a great family who cares about him very much and has a solid set of values-- focusing on grades and getting a good education is really important for his future, and any future you may have with him.

Obiously, they've done a great job so far raising him into the boy you like so much now, so why are you second-guessing their priorities after what-- 16, 17 years?

Encourage him to do well in Geometry, help any way you can, study in the library with him-- it will only do good things for both of you!

And definitely, resist comparing him to his sister-- do you want to date him, or her?

Honey..i know its hard...
but.. TRY to remember that his parents raised him right.... You yourself said how great he is..how hard he works..etc... So someone raised him right..
I know its frustrating..but trust his parents. I bet they know what they are doing with him...
wink.png

But..i know it must be very hard to be away from him...
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
He's been grounded now longer than 2 months.

Has his grades improved? I grounded my kid for longer over a grade in Algebra because she WAS NOT trying. This was a straight A student. She met a guy, lost focus, and made a D in Algebra because she was too busy making goo goo eyes at her new little friend who sat next to her. This is not unreasonable if his grades are not going up. Are the parents helping? I "tortured" my kid with Algebra studying at the kitchen table every night for the next 6 weeks to help her get her grade back up. She will graduate with HONORS next month. If I had let it go....I/she could not say that now. She also got over being mad and will be marrying that same boy before too long. Stick with it and try not to be so upset right now. Honors diploma is gonna look great on her college apps and THEY, meaning the 2 people who will be affected by her good grades.. will have a more secure future for it in the long run. Funny thing about parents...we love our kids, and love hurts sometimes
smile.png
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
You'll be able to see him soon, it's just tough right now.

Emzyyy, before trying to take a side, or even any position, I would like to hear what his parents have to say, and then hear from him separately. And also from his teachers. You have told only one side, and I do trust you, but there may be a part he is embarrassed to tell you.

Be patient.

Emz, I have a 19 year old daughter that lives here at home. She has her own car, her own insurance etc. Since she is still in high school you better believe I won't hesitate to ground her. And to clear the air, I ground for anything less than a C -. Loosing her car, her phone and her room that she doesn't have to share is good enough incentive to have her study from 3:30 till 9pm every night if that is whats needed.

Personally it sounds like he's having a hard time with this class, but he has way too much other things going on. And if he's hanging out with you, plus working, plus tutoring, plus sports, plus going to school plus....................... ya see where I'm going don't you? If it were my kid it would be SCHOOL........ everything else he'd be forced to quit.

Probably the other side of the story has some good information too!

Always three sides to every story--- our side-- thier side--- and the truth.

We are hearing one side of the story.

All the punishment in the world is not going to help if the kid just doesn't get the subject matter. Geometry can be difficult for even those who are good at math because the approach is so different.

I think from what you described the punishment seems excessive. It will also do little unless someone is helping him with the subject matter. I think it is interesting that the parents allow him to work 12 days on weekends, and expect an hour and a half of walking everyday, but it is too much of a time commitment to practice track.

Back
Top Bottom