Rant on Fast Food Rocket Scientists

Status
Not open for further replies.
i cannot believe how many ADULTS cannot make change or figure things out without machinery!

while showing people i trained how to figure the sale price of an item, then displaying the full amount with tax (all on a calculator, mind you) they just COULD NOT get it! i had typed out step by step instructions and they were baffled.

ie: necklace retail price $150.00, sale 60% off retail. MI state tax 6%

$150.00 x.40 gives you the sale price= $60.00 this is the first conundrum... but miss_jayne what is the .40 all about? the sale is 60% off. have to explain that there is 40% that is due on said necklace.

$60.00 x 1.06=$63.60 total w/tax...but miss_jayne what is 1.06, tax is 6%...conundrum number two, obviously. so i patiently explain that 1.06 is $60 + 6% all together and usually get stared at like a deer in headlights.

wanna really throw someone off, add a coupon in with it. it's as if the apocalypse was taking place...running, trampling, screaming...
roll.png

i think a lot of issues that we are battling in learning across the board come down to sheer laziness that has been groomed with gadgets.
if it is that hard with the calculator, imagine pencil and paper. good thing the cash register does it all for you.
th.gif

Quote:
You're right. But, that's why I also mentioned Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. In the past, I would argue that the majority of children had access to a stable family life, weren't as transient as many students are now, and had access to adequate food, shelter, and strict limits.

Just some things to think about. I don't think education professionals are entirely blamesless, by any means. However, there is a bigger picture that needs to be considered when talking about education.

By the way, Opa, your hometown's high school (Howell HS) is a HUGE success story. It is arguably the most high-tech and advanced, forward-thinking high school in the state of Michigan. Some representatives from our department and our administration went there to visit last year to check out how they do things.

I have a half-way decent education (Assoc. in Psych. working on my BA)- yet have taken "fast food" jobs out of necessity. The People I have worked with have been an eye-opening mix of people in similar circumstances to myself-- Kids working their way through school, and kids forced by Mom & Dad to take an un-wanted job.
THOSE are the kids I have issue with. They hate being there, so do not pay attention, cop nasty attitudes, and stand-around doing as little as possible...and get paid the same as the rest of us that do OUR jobs PLUS take up the slack THEY cause...!

Just a few Days ago, we were the ONLY people in Line at Mc D's... there were 6 people working, 1 at counter, 1 at drive thru, and 3 on prep/cooking.

The boy at the counter just stood there looking at us like we were slugs that slithered in..never welcomed us, or asked to take our order.

After taking our order, he had to re-total it 3x before getting the order correct..then just stood there. He didn't even attempt to go bag the order ... I had to ASK him "excuse me, but- aren't those our burgers she put up??" before he went and dropped them into a bag...and handed it to me..no fries, drinks or shakes!

Then an older couple came in , and he walked away to take their order, and they went thru the same thing!

I asked for the manager-- and she was the kid at the drive thru!
She got the rest of our order, but never apologized for the problems or the cold burgers.

Had that been where I was working a year ago-- the kid would have had to re-fix the order & apologize...and the manager would have written him up. (4 write-ups and you were gone!)

I try not to blame the teachers, as I see what they have to put up with... but have experience some who are there "just for the paycheck" and couldn't care less about the kids...
But 99% of the blame is on parents...

It is up to US as parents to instill a sence of responsibility and PRIDE IN YOUR WORK in our kids BEFORE they ever get to school...and beyond. And if a child has learning difficulties, it is again OUR responsibility to get them help so they CAN get a decent education.

Quote:
Sorry, I can't agree. My 3 oldest all were started in public school. It was considered one of the best districts in our ( St. Louis) county. They could all read and do simple arithmetic before kindergarten. After years of sending them to school for 7 hrs. per day and then spending evenings and weekend teaching what they didn't get in class, I started homeschooling and never looked back. I think the system is so loaded with theory and techno-speak that people have forgotten the skill of simply imparting knowledge.

I think the problem has several facets.. on one hand the parents need to be proactive. and on the other the teachers need to have more help.. at the school my DD went to last year she was pushed to the back of the class room.. becasue she was already reading an d the teacher needed to get the kids who were not yet reading up to speed.... (standardized testing and all) I was NOT happy with that but I cant homeschool... (no disipline-shesh I cant even spell) anyway I pulled my kid out and put them in the super great charter school... my 2nd grader is doing math the 4th graders are doing!!! its amazing to see a teatcher push her!!! she gives her work that is challenging!! its not busy work! I love it!!!

I would like to second what chickenlady said, and add that one of the biggest obstacles to teaching nowadays is discipline. The levels of disruptive behaviors by some students is astounding. Their behavior puts up a barrier to not only their own learning, but to the class at large. One or the only recourses a teacher has anymore is to give a disruptive student a "referral" to inform their parents of their child's behavior. Last year I was volunteering in my middle-schoolers' classroom when I overheard one girl say to another "why do they even bother giving out referrals? They don't do anything.". I looked at her and said "if my boys ever came home with a referral, it would do something, they'd be in major trouble.". She responded that she couldn't see my boys ever coming home with a referral, I told her "ah - hah!" and it became clear to her why my boys would never come home with one. I was talking to another teacher the other day and he told me that they are being instructed to go to the parents as a last recourse, because anymore the overriding response to the teachers from the parents is to blame the teacher for their little angel's misbehavior. I was an art teacher for years in both the elementary and middle school levels, and I can tell you that a lack of consistancy and control at home has destroyed many children's ability to learn, and their behavior in the classroom impacts everyone. Even the best teachers can only do so much. I had good control of the classroom, but once in a while a child would come along with serious issues and take all of my attention just to keep everyone safe. I was just glad that I got to teach a fun subject.

Last edited:
I just want to wave up my hand here.

I'm 24 years old, and part of the reason I do not work is because of my slow developmental skills when it comes to mathmatical reasoning.

I have been in "special math and special reading". Luckily I soared through my special reading class within a half a year in 3rd grade and no longer needed it. I now love to read and write, even though my spelling and punctuation isn't that great....average maybe...
smile.png
I wish I was better at it, I'd love to write witty novels and such that aren't confusing haha.

However, up to my senior year I was still in special math. It had nothing to do with my education OR my parents. My school seriously cared and seriously tried, my mom seriously cared and seriously tried. I am not diagnosed but it looks like the possible reason may be aspergers syndrome in my case....but I still need to talk to my family doctor about this as I researched it myself and talked it over with my family who see the similarities with the symptoms and discription in me.

My mom was so dedicated to helping me she even bought me hooked on phonics (which upsets me when people joke about that system...it DID help me a lot....so
tongue2.gif
to those of you who say "hooked on phonics woks fah me" making fun of people who used it<--- no one on BYC, iim meaning people I've heard in passing say it even to my face being funny not knowing I had to use that program...i hated it but it helped emensly)!
smile.png

Anywho...that was a long winded sentence ha! Um.... my mom worked with me EVERYDAY for weeks and I finnally had a good handle on everything to division. It actually became fun. However fractions, percentages still get me and I could NOT tell time until I was 18, and I still have to look at a clock for more than a few seconds before I am SURE of the time.

I get really hurt when people try to be caring and say "oh you just need someone to really teach you". Yeah, okay...well my mom paid for tutors for me and they helped some too, but you can only try to help someone so much if they just dont get it, they're not going to. I have notice though as I get older, I understand more, like percentages are *starting* to become more clearer to me, and I can quickly sometimes think without using my fingers or counting in my head, that when you take 7 away from 25 it equals 18. Other times I need to count. I am very fond of calculators needless to say, it helps when figuring out things for sure/in a snap. However in a working environement you normally are forced to move too fast and i've never been allowed to use a calculator when forced on the register. Any job i've had where I had to ring people up I messed up so bad, I either lost the store money or lost the customer money. I felt horrible, every job I went to though that I got hired at I forewarned them of my learning disability of sorts and they just smiled and told me i'd get the hang of it. Then I get the disapointed stares and points on paper when they show me where I went wrong...herm.
hide.gif

I am NOT venting to the OP or anyone else on here at all I'd be annoyed about that coupon thing too *which I personally get ha ha, so I would have been very upset being forced to pay for something oBVIOUSLY free* all Im saying is not everyones DUH moments, have everything to do with school or parents, some just litterally have problems learning. Like me.

I am decient at everything else mostly, esp things that interest me. I think that MANY people would be suprised to find out my learning problem because of how smart they say I am at animals and such.

I truely believe the theory that if you're left handed you're right brained...which guess what...that's the side of your brain responcible for creativity...the left side is for mathmatical reasoning...which I do not have much of.
smile.png

Luckily, my husband is WONDERFUL at math, brillant even. I tease him (though im being serious) that when we have kids, and they come home with confusing homework, they're going to daddy for math and history (history kind of bores me), and they can come to me for biology, art history, some english ha ha etc.
smile.png

The other reason I don't work, is that I don't drive, I have a hard time paying attention to what im doing when I drive. I littearlly go into a hase which im sorry that's almost just as bad as being drunk and driving! So I dont mind waiting a few more years until I get behind a wheel for good.

edited for a typo I caught
big_smile.png

Last edited:
A lot of it has to do with requiring mandated testing and high achievement results on those tests. The teachers are forced to teach for the test, not for education. Thus, they are teaching children only what they need to know to pass the test... including testing skills. Let me tell you from experience as a student, a test taker, a teacher, and an Education Major that ANYONE can be taught how to pass a test and not need to really understand the material. This is what the "Improve your child's SAT scores" programs are about. Tests are written in such a way as to allow the students to deduce the answer with enough understanding. They could pass a test without really knowing how to apply the knowledge.

We homeschool for kindergarten in our home and then send them to public school (which is across the street) and supplement at home on weekends and evenings. We don't force additional studying, but our children have a basic interest and desire to know more after homeschooling. Even our kindergartner noticed that her friend in first grade didn't know as much math as she did. It's also an issue of parents needing to participate more in their child's education. It doesn't have to start and stop at the school doors. Go to museums, make your family vacations to historical places. etc. Point out the science, art, history, and math in the world around you everyday. Soon your kids will do it too!

Teachers are given to much to teach in too little time. There is such a broad spectrum of knowledge people also need to look more at magnet schools in middle school and high school. Schools that specialize in gearing kids towards their talents. If you notice a student excels in math and science, then make their academics more geared towards that direction. I'm not saying pull everything away (history, art, etc) but FOCUS on their abilities to help them become more self confident in their studies and enjoy what they are learning. Forcing a child to learn higher math (calculus, trig, etc.) when they obviously excel in art or literature is just a waste of their time and frustration. If we help our kids focus one what they do best it's better for everyone. Those who show aptitude in all subjects could still attend regular schools.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't care about the change cause that is what a cash register is for....lol....but I hate the attitude on some of the younger ones.
man, I sure wouldn't treat elders like I have seen some young'uns do around this area. Most are great, then you run into that one with the attitude.

come on ya know!

Where are manners anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom