Rant on Fast Food Rocket Scientists

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a kid if I was disrespectful I got my bottom whooped. Now, if you so much as look at your kid wrong other people chastise you and call you a child abuser if you spank your kids. Parents are being bullied into letting their kids get away with things because they are have a lack of options. I'm not saying people should beat their kids black and blue, but a good whoop on the hiny can go pretty far. This is a last resort in our house. We often take away toys, electronics, etc. first. But if you spank your kid in a department store and you're on film.. they call the police. (Now, I'm not talking about those moms a few years back that were wailing on their kids, that's just wrong). But one firm smack doesn't constitute abuse. Plus.... as most parents know who spank, it hurts your palm as much as their hiny.

I spanked my son and I really didn't care what people thought of it. He certainly knows right from wrong, and is very respectful towards others.

Spare the rod......

Former fast food worker, here. They are people who are worked like dogs and offered no respect, whatsoever. The pay is crappy, the conditions dismal. I felt diminished by that work. It made it hard for me to feel good about myself. Now, I think it is a triumph of the human spirit when I get my order & a smile. There is a woman that works at the Burger King near my home - she is a saint. About 60 yrs. old. She has never, not smiled & behaved professionally in the YEARS that she has worked there. Amazing! Amazing, because it is a crap environment where people are not valued or trained. So sad.

Edited to add: I agree with the rants on parenting. People cannot value eachother and treat eachother well if they don't learn what that means at home. Yes, I will yell at my kids and even shame them if I feel they are disrespecting others by using bad manners or disrespecting THEMSELVES by not using their God given intellect!

Last edited:
Quote:
BayCityBabe,
How right you are.
And, some customers behave no better than some of the service workers.

All the kids on my street address me as Mr. Russ or Mr.Hxxxxx. Not one in 10 years has ever given me a problem.

I have told my parents that I now appreciate the discipline. I was raised with the belt.

Imp or Mr. Imp

The cost of education keeps rising but the results often decline.
Why could my parents learn to read write and do math in a 1 room school houses with 1 teacher and very little resources? It was because that was what they were expected to do. There were no acceptable excuses for not learning back then.
Today most of the cost is for teacher's salaries and benefits not to mention the costs of fancy school buildings with all kinds of facilities that my parents would never have dreamed of in their day. Also a school bus to pick you up and take you home was unheard of, they had to walk miles and it was uphill both ways!
The fact is that education has become an industry like any other, as long as all the educators stay employed in comfy surroundings then that is the most important result.
Look at the ads for college courses that will never lead to any related employment, get a student loan and spend the money here! How will those students ever repay that loan? Not the college's problem.

Quote:
Wow, I respectfully, vehemently disagree. If that were true then the rates for teacher retention would not be nearly as dismal as it is. Half of all new teachers don't make it beyond year 5. That is after dedicating at least 5 years in college and spending at minimum $25,000 on their education just to get themselves in that classroom. These are dedicated people, but most just can't make it. It is a very very HARD job. It is in no way cushy. Most teachers I know work from 60-80 hours a week. Do the math, what is their hourly salary? For someone with a total compensation of $60,000 a year (which includes time off, retirement, and medical benefits) working an average of 70 hours a week it comes out to $16.50 an hour, total compensation. Hardly good pay for a professional with a masters degree and arguably one of the hardest jobs out there. I would also like to remind you that the material they are expected to teach is MUCH more complex then it used to be, any veteran teacher can tell you that.

I give "props" to anyone who works with other people's kids. There are some days I don't even like my kids much less all the other little heathen's out there !

Teachers and kids are to blame. I've known some great teachers and some mediocre teachers. My two biological kids have done quite well in K-12 and my 21 yr old has done quite well in college. We didn't have to help them through all their home work. We did review it to be sure it was done and done correctly. However my 17 yr old is doing physics and calculus which I never did. So the system was fine for them.

We also have 5 adopted children who all have some level of special needs. The town we live in is small and the school K-12 has 450 kids in it. Our 2 oldest adopted daughters have learning disabilities and were just passed from one grade to the next. one was in 7th grade reading at 3rd grade and math at 4th grade. She would come home at 4pm and start her homework and not get done till 9pm. Her teacher said the avg student could finish in 1/2 hr. When our4 yr old was diagnosed with diabetes we checked to see if the school could handle it. They said we would have to sign a waiver and come to the school to do her insulin injections.

At that point we decided it was time to home school. Denver schools has an online home schooling program which is great. The kids are all thriving.

In our case the school was too small to provide for our needs. They had 1 special needs teacher for the whole school. So they passed the requirements for providing for our needs. As far as not counting change back there is no need for it now. 20 years from now nobody will know what that is or was. Kids will act the way they are raised to act. Whipping or spanking isn't necessary. It just gives the parent a way to vent and teaches the child that violence is an acceptable method of dealing with anger. There are more effective ways to discipline. I have spanked my children a couple times and all it does is make me feel bad and my child feel bad that Daddy would hurt them.

By reading these posts it seems some think this generation of kids is dumber. I bet many of you would not be able to do your high school students math homework. These children now days are being forced to learn much more at a faster rate than most of us were. My niece is learning calculus in 8th grade. When I was going to school many people graduated not ever taking calculus. It is getting to where you have to be able to speak a second language to graduate. I never had to do that. If anyone graduates now they have to be smarter than someone who graduated just 15 years ago.

You are spot on 1acre. My kids came home with stuff in 3rd grade that I know I did in 6th. I stopped helping my kids with math when they hit the 8th grade. Geometry is as far as I got in math. Trig in community college. Can't remember any of it. Both of my older kids had 4 years of Spanish. I talked them out of french. Knowing spanish might actually help some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom