Rant: The dog species

Bantimna

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
South Africa
Well, I'm not in a pretty mood today and won't be for the next few days.
While we were out camping (about 2 weeks ago) our dogs stayed at home for a few hours, maybe 12 hrs.
I though everything would be just fine until, we came home. Shredded paper every where and my mothers socks had been "helped out" by receiving a few holes (big holes). I've now realized what those torn pieces of paper were.

A friend on the BYC needed some phone numbers for a few breeders in SA. So I though I would be able to help after phoning around to find breeders and what they bred around SA. (which is very difficult) As I was searching for my "breeder book" I couldn't find it and went outside to check if I had left it somewhere. While looking for it I found it, half buried under a tree, with only a few pages left (all torn) and barely holding onto the book. I'm furious, all my hard work has been destroyed and nothing is left. Our dear Terrier Fergus, has made a lot of trouble for me lately! I just hope something else doesn't loose it's right place!

Thank you for taking a look at my rant....
rant.gif

Yep, thats a normal healthy dog tearing up the place whilst mommy & daddy are away!! Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Dont feel bad, I left my St. Bernard puppy in the car once while doing some grocery shopping, and he ate up my dashboard. I feel your pain.

keep him locked up in a crate or small room next time - it's safer for both of you! (I learned the hard way once coming home to a shredded couch)

Quote:
Same thing happened to a friend of mine with a rescue greyhound. Only thing, her boyfriend was still at home! He called her at work (we worked together). "Honey, your dog is eating the couch."

"WHAT?! Well stop him."

"Why? He's not my dog and it's not my couch."

Dog ate through two couch cushions by the time she got home.

Quote:
Same thing happened to a friend of mine with a rescue greyhound. Only thing, her boyfriend was still at home! He called her at work (we worked together). "Honey, your dog is eating the couch."

"WHAT?! Well stop him."

"Why? He's not my dog and it's not my couch."

Dog ate through two couch cushions by the time she got home.

Sounds like time for a new boyfriend!

Quote:
I agree! How awful!

I like crates for chewers, for their safety as well as the safety of my stuff. Some things are not safe for doggie mouths!

I agree with Orchid!

But she said she was gone 12 hours. That is a little bit long for a dog to stay crated on that particular instance.
wee.gif

Can you trade dog-sitting with a friend or find a nearby boarding kennel? Sounds like your dog needs human supervision when you are gone.

I feel your pain, though........I foster dogs from the humane society and could tell you lots of stories of damage done to homes that is MUCH much worse than your story.......owners coming home to complete destruction of room, drapes, furniture and carpet and I have a few horror stories from our years of fostering dogs, if you need to feel "lucky" you only lost one special item, I can share them with you, but I guess I ask for it, bringing home strange dogs.

My own golden retriever unstuffed my couch for me when he was about a year old....he is eight now and we have worn out the replacement couch but will never in a million years be able to replace him when he goes so the price of a new couch was money well spent.

Back
Top Bottom