Rants and raves of an old soul in a new age.

Then why do farmers pay a higher price for the GMO higher yield seeds ?

Anyone that has been sued for the patent has had over 80% of their field tested as GMO plants and that's impossible with wind. Pollen landing on a plant doesn't change it to GMO.
Actually it does. If you do the old practice of saving the seeds of your best plants each year an the farm next door plants GMO, a few seasons later you would have mostly GMO crops.

When GMOs first hit big you had two kind of corn farmers. The savers an the buyers. Savers grew the best from last years crop. Buyers went an got the latest thing from the farm store. GMO is less work an less fuel but also cost more in supplies also sold by the farm store. Easy choice for what the farm store on what to carry. 50/50 thing for the farmer.

How do you figure that Monsanto knows who to sue? People who save seeds pay others to clean them for next season. Monsanto sued those people to know who they worked for. They then trespass an take samples from those farmers to sue them with. It put the seed savers out of business an stopped the practice cause most farmers can not afford to test for GMO contamination every season.

Now the only option for most farmers is to buy seeds to cover your butt whether they want the new GMOs or not...

Last edited:
Quote: *High five Rebels* Nice to see you here :p

Seed spreaders nail neighboring fields too, I believe it was along the whole fence line. I see that driving through the valley all the time. IMO Neighbors should be allowed to be neighborly. Accidents happen and the country it too darn sue happy. What happened to compassion and heart.... *sigh*

Until the 90s everyone I know grew corn. My property was in corn most of my life. After all that started in the 90s, no one I know has planted any corn..

Monsanto has only actually went threw an sued a few people, thousands have been threatened an a few hundred have actually been served lawsuits that were later dropped...

Last edited:
It is sad. Well I try to grow my organic corn, but it doesn't like my plot. Plus it takes too much water for what I can afford. I buy a 50 lb bag of non GMO organic feed corn, sort through and mill it myself. Much more cost efficient for myself.

Last edited:
Great place I've found to get heirloom seeds (non-hybrid and non-GMO) is Baker Creek http://www.rareseeds.com.
They have heirloom varieties from all over the world. I plan on getting some seeds from there next year and just saving my own from then on. (Hopefully no GMO farmers around my place lol)

Thanks for the input Rebels.

And yes Chic CAN this country is entirely too sue happy. And it's just people trying to make a buck. All they want anymore is money and nothing else matters it seems. It's saddening.

Seeds of change is also a great company to purchase heirloom seeds from. We dealt with them in an agriculture class of mine. Wonderful plants that I still have offspring from each year because I save the seeds!

There are tons of supliers offering non GMO. and it is is certified organic it should be non GMO. Check the nongmosourcebook.com for suppliers.

The afore mentioned and peacefullvalley are good. there is a good one in Oregon too. Seedsavers Exchange is great. you actually can get them from growers all over the country!

Quote:

I see that you're playing devil's advocate here and just trying to add balance to the thread as far as some things go. But I am seeing that it is more upsetting than helpful to the majority of those posting, so I am going to ask you if you would please keep it more positive (whether you see any positivity in the topics or not) or simply not post. Thank you.

Woah.. wait a minute here.. And why cant Dennis comment and share his opinion? Was this thread started to just gather ONE opinion.. and any others are not wanted nor "allowed"? Was Dennis rude? Was he out of line? I cant find that anywhere.. :/ And frankly, its very rude to tell someone on an open forum to "not post" on a thread just because their opinion differs from yours...
Now lets play nice and be polite to "everyone".. Dennis has valid points too.. thanks!

Quote: As kindly requested by the thread starter. I think you took it out of context.

This is the point of the thread tending more to the old way but not pursuing a means for a debate if one want to start a debate and argument. I can see one starting their own thread on that specific topic instead and honoring any thread starters wishes without resulting in having a thread locked:

And mind BYC Rules. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/terms-of-service Specifically tryingto avoid rule #4 of the 'Don'ts' section.

Quote:

Now correct me if I'm wrong for posting this but I'd venture to guess alot y'all here agree with me. I believe we've only begun to scratch the surface of the issue so please post. Rants and raves, Stories from Grandpa, or just things you think could be done better in the world. I can't be the only crazy one out here right?!

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the OP is requesting that this country get a grip on reality and yet the three examples given (Mayberry, Bonanza and LHotP) are all fictional locations.
Reality is messy. Reality means life is unscripted and people disagree. Reality means that we can argue pros and cons of GMOs and it is okay. Happy clappy only happens on TV.

Back
Top Bottom