"Rare" breed chicks - Anyone bored enough to help ID, please? :)

LittleChickSpy

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
I received 6 assorted "rare" breed pullets (hopefully) yesterday. I believe I'd IDed 2 of them (though, would love confirmation!), but I'm not sure where to start with the other 4 (2 of which are the same breed). Their hatch date was 4/7.

I believe this one is a white sultan, but I'm not sure because I don't see a very defined crest. ? She's the smallest chick of the bunch, significantly smaller than all but one other chick. She has 5 toes on one foot and 6 on the other. I also thought there may be a chance she's a runty salmon faverolles? I'm not very familiar with either breed. Whatever she is, she is a feisty little thing right now.

I think this one is a Splash Cochin?

Now, on to the ones I have no real clue about. I Have 2 of these guys. They're black, yellow, and then reddish/brown on their heads. Fuzzy shanks & feet. They are a little smaller than the one I believe to be a splash cochin, and about twice as big as the one I believe is a white sultan.

This one is a similar size to the 2 black chicks. It also has fuzzy shanks & feet.

This one is smaller than all the others except the (I think) white sultan. She does NOT have fuzzy shanks or feet.

Any help appreciated! :)

The first does look like a sultan. Are they all bantams? The next 3 do look like Cochins or maybe brahmas. I think. Marans also have feathered feet, but I'm not real familiar with them. Maybe you could search for pictures of those breeds to see how they match up.

Last edited:
The first dark feather shanked chick could be a Dark Brahma, or maybe Silver Laced Cochin--I can't see how heavy the feathering is. The next one looks like a Partridge Cochin. Bottom chick looks like a Silver Spangled Hamburg (is the comb flat?).

mrsmayo -- Supposedly, none are bantams. I'm going to have to check some marans. I've been trying to compare chick pictures, but I didn't quite know where to start on those last three, especially the one without fuzzy legs. Thanks!

popsicle -- I was thinking maybe partridge cochin for the red/brown, too. Awesome! I don't think dark brahma was on the list of possibilities, so maybe those two are silver laced cochins. I think you're right about the hamburg, too! Her comb does look flat, but I really only see the part just on top of the beak right now. So helpful, thank you!

popsicle - the (possible) hamburg's comb looks wide & flat? Compared to the other chicks I have in with her, at least.

Wide and flat, definitely a rose comb on that chick.

Marans are generally rarer than Cochins, but they don't look like the Marans you will usually find at hatcheries. Marans have less feathering on their shanks than the Brahmas. So from most shank feathering to least: Cochins>Brahma>Marans. Cochins will frequently be found in "rare breed" assortments.

Yep, looks like these guys have too much feathering to be marans, from the maran pictures I just viewed. Pretty sure I have 4 cochins, a white sultan, and a hamburg on my hands. This ought to be fun! Thank you, thank you!

Cool. Only buff and light brahmas were listed as possibilities. So, I guess either that means the hatchery changed things up on me, or they're silver laced cochins? I took a good long look at everyone again, and although the splash chick is bigger than the rest, the partridge cochin looking chick is smaller than the darker ones, and their shanks and feet are all heavily feathered like the splash. I guess I'll know for sure in a few weeks, but I'm terribly impatient.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom