Rare Breed Wish List

Pics
polish are food obsessed, trust me. Easy to train with treats.

I trim my frizzled polish hens crest in the evening. Take her off the roost, quick Edward Scissorhands and back again. She doesn't even thank me when she can see again!!

I have been browsing some rare breeds here https://www.rarepoultrysociety.com/breeds.html and in a couple of years I'd like to thin out my little flock and get some new varieties.

My criteria are:
- bantam version (because I can have more chickens that way)
- clean footed (its wet in the UK)
- good natured and happy to live in a mixed flock
- don't want to roam too widely or jump 6 foot fences (I don't have acres, and do have neighbours)
- pets not food, but eggs are a bonus

I'm rather enamoured with Citron Groninger Meeuwen, Yokohama, Vorwerk, and Langshan.

Anyone keep these rare breeds?

I'm also fascinated by the various bantam game breeds, and also sebrights. I'd have seramas again in a heartbeat too.

I'd love to hear about your rare breed crushes and why you love keeping them or why you want to.
Hmmmm, Well, I see one snag in your criteria....most bantams are good flyers :lol:! Also, Langshan and Vorwerks are large birds here in the U.S. do they have a bantam version in the UK? There are bantam Welsummers, Barnevelder, Wyandotte and Orpingtons, they are usually quite friendly. Also, Rosecombs and Barbu de Watermael come in a great variety of colors. I wouldn't recommend any chickens that resemble pigeons in their body shape (Spitzhauben, Seabright) because they tend not to cope well with confinement and excel at flying. Olandsk Dwarfs are pretty to look at as well. Good Luck in collecting a spectacular menagerie of feathered friends :)

I personally have a BIG crush on Izegem Cuckoos, they're a huge barred rose-combed dual purpose bird from Belgium. (wow that was a lot of adjectives! lol).
Other breeds I fancy:
Silverudd's Blue: the splash and their green speckled eggs
Gold Deathlayer: Big black doll eyes, cushion comb and extravagant plumage
Lyonnaise for their black feathers, funky crest and red devil horns
I'm also just a sucker for a well bred Welsummer that has exaggerated egg speckling
And.......purebred Ameraucanas, especially blues and splashes for their cheeks, beards, pea combs, blue eggs, slate legs and winning personalities.

I currently have:
1 Welsummer, 1 Black Copper Marans, 1 Barnevelder, 1 Easter Egger and 3 Mottled Javas.....and they'll do for now :)

Aseel is on my wish list now…..idk if you guys consider them rare but ive never seen them in America like that….Just figured out my sweet little 4 month old pullet is a aseel mixed with EE…originally I thought she was Malay with EE…but after revisiting where I got her…her father is a huge all black and shiny green aseel…and her mother is a pretty brown and white EE. ( she’s bigger now, but this was her at just 3 months old. She stands taller than my full grown bielefelders that stand 32 inches)

Attachments

• E0A72E98-0A0B-43F9-B840-91149100B70E.jpeg
    E0A72E98-0A0B-43F9-B840-91149100B70E.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 0
  • F8048B0E-9483-4AAD-9AC8-097146F2B513.jpeg
    F8048B0E-9483-4AAD-9AC8-097146F2B513.jpeg
    971.9 KB · Views: 0
  • AE213171-4A8A-4FD9-B318-C335DC143FE2.jpeg
    AE213171-4A8A-4FD9-B318-C335DC143FE2.jpeg
    671.8 KB · Views: 0
  • AE8121F9-2684-467E-B0D7-758376DE61B8.jpeg
    AE8121F9-2684-467E-B0D7-758376DE61B8.jpeg