Rare, mythical creature in my poultry pen (broody white leghorn).

So, quick update.

I went out about 30 min before dark to give the babies to her. I wanted to watch and see if she would accept them. When I put the first baby in, she was shocked, but when I went to put the second baby in she flipped out and flew out of her nest box scattering the two babies. This is the way she's been any time I've gotten near the nest, she runs, squawking madly. So I decided to remove the eggs, put the babies in the nest and see what happens. She didn't want to go back in, and the babies were trying to crawl out of the box. So I caught her, putting babies back in the box as they kept popping out and shut her in. I wasn't too worried because she started making broody clucking noises. I peaked a couple times and she almost escaped again when I tried moving a chick back under her. So I left her alone for a bit and focused on putting the rest of the birds to bed. When I came back, this was her response to me trying to take a video of the chicks underneath her. She went from flighty to bitey. She didn't like my trying to move her to take a look at her babies.

Since Trader Joe's and ALDI is basically the same store ran by two brothers from a different mother, I wonder if you can also hatch ALDI's eggs?
IIRC the TJ eggs say 'fertilized' right on the carton.
There was several folks hatching them here a few or more years ago.
trader joe fertilized chicken eggs

You'd have to shop them and see if they are available.

Last edited:
Since Trader Joe's and ALDI is basically the same store ran by two brothers from a different mother, I wonder if you can also hatch ALDI's eggs?

Only if the carton is labeled "fertile eggs". I've also found that the claim that the eggs are fertile can be dubious. One small business who supplies "fertile eggs" to the local health food store supposedly had a single roo in a pen of more than 100 hens.

I am picky about knowing what my mixes are. I would hate to hatch grocery store eggs. At least with my own mixed flock eggs, I know what I'm getting.

Back
Top Bottom