rarest and hardest chickens to raise

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Animallover606, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    I want to know this becuase i want to know what to stay away from when i get my new chickens

2. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    none of the chickens are hard to raise but you have to watch for disease but the rarest are the ones you want to find because people want the rare ones and will pay alot more for them

3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    I have really not found 1 breed harder than another to raise, but some are friendlier than others. Like OEGs (old english game) are nice, but the roosters with fight with my other chickens. Sebrights and Hamburgs are both flighty birds and the roosters will attack you. Leghorns can also be flighty. Here is a chart that might help you- http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html It tells you if they're friendly, rare, etc.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Some breeds do carry lethal genes. Japanese is one breed. Think the tuff birds are another. Some white Wyandotte. If both the parents carry the lethal genes,then 25% of the chicks will die, in the hatching stage or soon after hatching.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hear that andalusians can be flighty... don't know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by