Rash on chicken's skin

nettiebakes

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 23, 2012
Hi All! I have two white Leghorns, one Rhode Island Red, and a bantam Americauna all 1 year old. They have all got this red rash on their skin. It seems to be getting worse. There is no sign of lice, or mites. It doesn't seem to bother them, they don't scratch and such. There has been no change in their eating/drinking, or egg laying. My Americauna just hatched some fostered chicks and I'm worried that the chicks will get this rash. I've attached a picture. At first I thought it was just because the coop litter hadn't been changed for a while due to the cold, but I've changed the litter and it's still getting worse. Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Chicken Boy1234. I was hoping to find the cause so I could fix it. Anyone have any ideas? It's got to be something contagious otherwise my other chickens wouldn't have it too.

Last edited:
I just noticed a dry rash on my one white chick under her wings and on one hip. It is red and the skin looks a bit scaly. I checked all the other chicks and there is no problem. It is not a wet rash and almost looks like it is healing. No mites. these chicks were born May 12 and have been kept separate from any other chickens. Eating well and active. I see this other thread went no where. anyone else bothered with this. I will try to post a picture later when I have help holding it.

Welcome to BYC. You may want to look under the vent for any lice eggs which can look like little clumps of white at the base of feather. Some mites only come out at night, so checking with a flashlight late at night may find some. Other reasons for redness are from others pecking, or the chickens scratching themselves.

Last edited:
When I had help holding the chick in good light I noticed that the areas were actually a wound that had scabbed over a bit. like abrasions. This chick had escaped out of the pen thru a small hole that we patched up after she was caught. This would have been about 4 days ago. I noticed the places when she was flying about since she is white and they were brownish. I now recall seeing the other chicks pecking at her a bit but never drew blood. I think they smelled it under her wings. Her abraided areas were under one wing where it would have flipped back during the tight squeeze through the wire and on both hips and on her back under the same injured wing.

I worked on it this morning and she is doing fine. Never did get off her feed. None of the other birds had this problem. I have had mites before from a chicken given to us in our first stages of owning chickens. We caught it early and told the neighbor his chickens needed worked on. We will never introduce a new chick or hen etc into our family unless it is checked beforehand and kept away from all the other birds for a while. thank you so much for your help.

Hi All! I have two white Leghorns, one Rhode Island Red, and a bantam Americauna all 1 year old. They have all got this red rash on their skin. It seems to be getting worse. There is no sign of lice, or mites. It doesn't seem to bother them, they don't scratch and such. There has been no change in their eating/drinking, or egg laying. My Americauna just hatched some fostered chicks and I'm worried that the chicks will get this rash. I've attached a picture. At first I thought it was just because the coop litter hadn't been changed for a while due to the cold, but I've changed the litter and it's still getting worse. Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

When I had help holding the chick in good light I noticed that the areas were actually a wound that had scabbed over a bit. like abrasions. This chick had escaped out of the pen thru a small hole that we patched up after she was caught. This would have been about 4 days ago. I noticed the places when she was flying about since she is white and they were brownish. I now recall seeing the other chicks pecking at her a bit but never drew blood. I think they smelled it under her wings. Her abraided areas were under one wing where it would have flipped back during the tight squeeze through the wire and on both hips and on her back under the same injured wing.

I worked on it this morning and she is doing fine. Never did get off her feed. None of the other birds had this problem. I have had mites before from a chicken given to us in our first stages of owning chickens. We caught it early and told the neighbor his chickens needed worked on. We will never introduce a new chick or hen etc into our family unless it is checked beforehand and kept away from all the other birds for a while. thank you so much for your help.

I have one with that same rash, tried everything, she is happy healthy and gives me an egg everyday. Would like to know the cause and the cure.

Back
Top Bottom