rasing babies...

julieseggs

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
when will a hen start to set and when do they realize they have enough eggs to keep. iam going into winter and would like to try and raise some of my own.or should i wait until spring

The babies will be o.k. under mama for a little while, but they will need to be kept warm for a few weeks or so until they feather out. I personally decided to wait, because I keep mine seperate until they get big enough to defend themselves a little bit in the pecking order routine they will have to endure. If you can set up a brooder and keep you fingers crossed that they will be able to fit in with the others through winter I would say go for it, but myself, I am waiting until spring to hatch. (I live in Pennsylvania by the way and they are predicting possible frost tonight)

i bought a bator today, it's a still air and there's only one egg in there that i got from my mom's friend..... so will i need to do anything special because the lack of eggs? and how do i start my own "thread"???
he.gif

gO TO The incubating and hatching chicks section and click on post new topic on the right hand side near the top. Lots of educcated and practiced people here. You will get the help you need.

Back
Top Bottom