Raspy, sneezing hens - a few questions

So we just got off the phone with a friend of ours who has almost two hundred chickens and sells eggs. We have given him a few roosters. He said his whole flock has had one of these respiratory illnesses and treated them (but of course are carriers), so now that could be where we brought it in from. We just gave him a healthy young rooster about three weeks ago and dropped it off. I tell ya, dumb stuff.

So, I'm going to contact Oregon State University tomorrow about sending in one for a necropsy to see which it is and then I will treat them for what it is and ponder on whether to keep a closed flock or not. What a stupidly stressful situation. I miss farming sheep. =)

It is very easy to spread this stuff. Biosecurity and good quarantine measures can really make a difference for chickens. Once you find out what disease you are dealing with, I recommend doing research on it and how long it can survive in the environment. Some viruses are just nigh impossible to be rid of on your property and so culling, sanitizing, and restarting only work if you wait months (or years) between birds. Once you are armed with knowledge, you can better approach and manage your birds. All my best wishes, I hope you get your answers soon.

Thank you so much for your help. I am going to call today after work about getting a necropsy done and my husband is going to pick up Tylan 50, so we'll have that and Sulmet on hand ready to treat. My husband is not for culling them and starting over next spring. He votes we test them, treat them and those that survive just keep in a closed flock and let them carry out there lives. I'm almost leaning that way now too, since I don't know how it was brought in for sure. I would hate to cull all of the birds I've had for years and are like pets just to find out the next ones come down with it also.

So, we'll just wait and see what they have. Thank you, again.

It all depends on what your goals with chickens are, and what disease it might be. My thoughts are with you! Best wishes to you guys. I hope it is one of the more easily managed problems.

At the end of the day it depends on how you view your flock. If they are for breeding, selling, etc and a source of income for you then I can understand why you would feel the need to cull, disinfect and start from scratch. However, if they are more like 'pets with perks' and you are attached to some of them, then keeping a closed flock and enjoying the rest of their time with you is no bad thing either.

Just remember that whatever you choose to do, it is your (and your husband's) decision, and no-one else's. You will decide what is right for you, and what you feel comfortable with. There are some who would berate you for considering culling birds that may be carriers but show no symptoms, and there are others who would think you mad not to get rid of everything, deep clean and start all over. We all have our own opinions, but yours is the one that counts for you.

Having said that, I think that you are right to wait and see what the necropsy results show. Another few days before you make a decision isn't going to change anything drastically for you or your girls, and will help you make a more informed and rational decision. Like Nambroth I really hope for you that it is an easy thing to deal with. Please keep us updated in the thread - all such information helps others in the future who are researching options for similar problems.

So OSU just got back to me about a necropsy and it's $48 plus whatever the cost of overnight shipping is. They also told me to take it somewhere to be euthanized. That will cost more. I have no way of euthenizing it, except for chopping its head off and I don't think they want that. So I'm looking at over $75. That seems steep. Does anyone know of anywhere else you can send one for much cheaper? Can I send it out of state? OSU is the only lab I have found online that does the necropsy. Our state Ag website sends you to OSU's lab.

I purchased the Tylan Soluble for their water through Amazon. It will be here tomorrow morning. They're all drinking well and I don't like to give shots, so I went with that. I'm almost tempted to just start them on that when it gets here. Here's another question - I have a mother hen with the one chick that didn't die. She was the first one to show symptoms of this respiratory thing, so she'll need the Tylan water. Will the chick be okay drinking that?

Our chickens are just a hobby for us. We just have them for the eggs for our family and our enjoyment out in the yard (so fun to watch), so keeping a closed flock is fine. Will clean, wait, and start over after these ones are all gone.

A number of the sick ones are looking a lot better today. The two that had one side of their face swollen with an eye shut are now hardly swollen at all. All I did was give them ACV water with crushed garlic on Saturday and then yesterday when I thought it was for sure Coryza I added the Sulmet to their water for the day. Then when I thought it could be something else I just went back to ACV water for today.

I did notice this morning, one of the new pullets that has been here a week pooped and it looked like it had some blood in it. She hasn't shown any symptoms of the respiratory stuff and none of the others seem to have abnormal poo. So, I wonder if she has Coccidiosis since they're new to this area. I think I'll separate the three pullets into a small run and give them Corid in their water. I should have never got new birds.
he.gif

My experience with necropsy costs was about the same. Other than the states that have programs that offer free necropsy (one still has to pay shipping or drop off a bird in person), I have not seen it offered for less than $50. The last one I had done was $90 (plus the euth cost) but it was with an avian vet so I didn't have to pay shipping costs on top of that. Maybe someone knows of a less expensive resource for you!

Back
Top Bottom