Rat Holes?!?!? Need opinions please.

QuackerJackFarms

Songster
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Missouri
Here's the situation.. Ducks haven't laid in 6 weeks. I used to get at least 2 a day. Then last week chicken eggs started to slow down.. now I'm on day 4 of no eggs at all. I did a little investigation since this seems odd for all my chickens to just stop on the same day. Here is what I found under a 3x4 board.

Let me also add... I've noticed their feed consumption has drastically increased. I also notice a huge mound of dirt behind the chicken coop, but assumed that was from the ground hog problem we have.

Thoughts?? Thanks for your answers in advance.

Here's the situation.. Ducks haven't laid in 6 weeks. I used to get at least 2 a day. Then last week chicken eggs started to slow down.. now I'm on day 4 of no eggs at all. I did a little investigation since this seems odd for all my chickens to just stop on the same day. Here is what I found under a 3x4 board.

Let me also add... I've noticed their feed consumption has drastically increased. I also notice a huge mound of dirt behind the chicken coop, but assumed that was from the ground hog problem we have.

Thoughts?? Thanks for your answers in advance.
Start setting some traps. Get a roll of hardware cloth and get that all covered up. As for the hole you could flood it, fill it, or gas it. All viable solutions.

Last edited:
Start setting some traps. Get a roll of hardware cloth and get that all covered up. As for the hole you could flood it, fill it, or gas it. All viable solutions.

thumbsup.gif
Just drug one out. What should I bait it with? I have no eggs. LOL!! Feed maybe?

Thanks for the advice. So would you say it's safe to say these are definantly rats?? I'm in some serious denial! It's like they just showed up one day!

Rats. They have several different entries and their mounds are mealy looking. They are a problem especially this time of year. Looks like they may be using some of the feathers for nest material.
Put some rat blocks down the holes, cover with hardware cloth and put the board back on with weighted rock or something. Good luck.

Rats. They have several different entries and their mounds are mealy looking. They are a problem especially this time of year. Looks like they may be using some of the feathers for nest material.
Put some rat blocks down the holes, cover with hardware cloth and put the board back on with weighted rock or something. Good luck.
Hey Sandy... describe what you mean by "mealy looking". Because I thought the dirt look.... funny like. Like little bitty round balls. Kinda like that dippin dots ice cream you get. lol. Is that what you mean?

Back
Top Bottom