Rat nawed hole thru coop base!!!

JJ--

Chirping
Apr 18, 2015
Hi,

With all the rain this year, apparently every ran must have found its way to our yard!!! We keep the food locked up in the house and the self feeding tube is the only thing out.

Rats have nawed a hole any the base of the coop and floor. I want to find a way to plug this up with out a health hazard to the girls.

Thoughts?

Chickens are smarter than you might give them credit for. I know that my chickens actually will kill rats that get into the coop by pecking them. to plug up the holes, you might want to move your chickens our for a little while and replace the floor with cement and then cover it back up with whatever your coop floor is now. Your chickens won't really notice a difference other than they won't be able to scratch as deep as they would like to.

I would use cement. Safe for the chickens after setting.
No rat is chewing through cement.

Rats have nawed a hole any the base of the coop and floor. I want to find a way to plug this up with out a health hazard to the girls.
Pics of coop and hole, from top and bottom, would help garner viable suggestions.
This is why I put 1/2" hardware cloth over the plywood and under the vinyl on my coop floor.

I thought big chickens or guineas would kill a rat but they dont they just chase the rat away. They let my quail get taken. Nothing helped till i started feeding my cat by the coop

Back
Top Bottom