Rat or Hen?

nevrenufanimals

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Southeast Louisiana
I am completely perplexed now. For several days I have been finding one of my eggs broken and collapsed in a nest box. I was thinking that it was one of my hens because it was always a blue egg. I have two hens that lay blue eggs. I put one of them in my broody breaker today in case its her. Now I'm not so sure its a hen. Later this afternoon I went out to check on them and found one of the fake ceramic eggs that was in the nestbox now on the floor of the run. About 15-20 foot away from the nestbox it was in. It had egg residue on it. the amazing thing is a hen would have to gotten that egg over a 4 inch lip of the nestbox, rolled it out of the coop and down the ramp, carried it another 3 foot through the enclosure then up and over a 6 inch bottom of the pop door that goes to the run, then rolled it another 10 or so feet toward the other end. The coop is completely enclosed with hardware cloth and the run is enclosed with chicken wire with a metal roof. I have already found rat droppings on my little broody bin house that stays in the run, so I know they are there. The whole coop and run area are next to the chainlink fence in my fenced in backyard. One side is bordered by a ditch. Something has been stealing my vegetables out of my raised garden beds lately also and I suspect rats and also a coon. but i know a coon didnt get in my coop or run. Any ideas of what it could be would be appreciated.

From what your describing it probably was a rat if you've seen evidence of them around. I wouldn't underestimate hens though. Not that long ago one of my hens stole my wireless temp sensor from one side of the coop and put it in the nest box clear on the other side of the coop and was sitting on it. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom