Rat problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Otown Yolkster, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Otown Yolkster

Otown Yolkster New Egg

Feb 25, 2010
    Oakland
    I'm scared of poisons so I just bought a battery-powered device called a Rat Zapper because of a rat problem we seem to be having near our coop. Day One -- one dead mouse. Anyone have any experience with these things? I'm kind of nervous about killing other things -- like squirrels and skunks, but I must say so far I'm impressed with the convenience. Just dump the carcass in the trash - no splatter, no still alive animal, etc.

2. midwestmilkmaiden

midwestmilkmaiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    We have a SERIOUS Rat problem...

what is this thing you're talking about?????..

We're DESPERATE!!!!!!

3. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:How about a cat???

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've thought about those rat zappers, but we have a terrible rat problem, I'm sure I'd have to stay up all night to empty the thing, then the batteries would be dead the next day [​IMG] Plus they are pretty pricey, at least for my taste. You'd do best to have several traps out, and those just aren't practical. Get some good ol' snap traps, put them inside a cage or under a box so the chickens don't get to them, and enjoy the popping sounds [​IMG] Just make sure that you set the traps out, baited, for a few days before you set them so the rats can get used to them being around.
    Hope you don't catch a skunk with it [​IMG] and I doubt you'll catch a squirrel [​IMG]
    We've resorted to poison, if that doesn't work we will be hiring an exterminator, it is that bad!!

5. midwestmilkmaiden

midwestmilkmaiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    We also have a BIG TIME rat dilemna!!!!!.... It's BAD!

Not only do we have our coop full of them.. There's two in my kitchen that I can't trap!.. but I never tried laying the snap traps out for a few days to let them get used to them.. we have put them out with peanut butter and last night we did bacon .... woke up, no dead rats! [​IMG]

I really don't like them in my coop .. I have babies hatching out and am worried the rats will get them.. they already have gotten 2 this season.. [​IMG]

BUT.. I'm sick about them finding their way into my HOME! [​IMG]

Need a rat trapping expert!.. pronto!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by