Rat Proof Feed Storage Ideas?

K2goatsandducks

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Sacramento, CA, USA
Hi there!
We have rats, so we pick up food bowls in the evening, and we store feed in a couple different locations that are rat proof.
We have treats and supplements in a metal truck toolbox, and we keep the open feed in a metal trashcan with a lid and bungee cord.
The issue is that we have back up feed and scratch that gets stored in our large shed (that is rat proof), but the shed is a hassle to walk around to, and my wife would love to have the space back for her mountain bikes. I would love to get another smaller shed for all the feed and bedding, but I am worried that a metal shed wouldn't have adequate ventilation, and the rats would get into a resin shed. I could get several more trash cans, but it's definitely less than ideal.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions what works for you?
I need storage for about four, 50 pound bags of feed/scratch.

Thank you!

We have several metal trash cans on little rolling platforms we made, so they are easy to move. However, in your case maybe get an old chest freezer to use. Not to freeze the feed, but to store it. So, anything similar, even a standing fridge or freezer could do the trick.
Oh that’s a great idea!
I wonder if I could even find one for free on Craigslist.

An old freezer is a great idea. On occasion, metal barrels will form condensation unless you wrap them in some sort of insulation. On a freezer or fridge the insulation is built in.

One thing though, bringing in the feed bowls at night just teaches the rats to eat during the day. You really need to invest in a good treadle feeder or resort to hand feeding twice a day and having fewer eggs or weight gain if you are raising broilers. There is a cost to everything, wasted feed, incoming pests and disease, or blowing hard earned money on chicken stuff. ; )

An old freezer is a great idea. On occasion, metal barrels will form condensation unless you wrap them in some sort of insulation. On a freezer or fridge the insulation is built in.

One thing though, bringing in the feed bowls at night just teaches the rats to eat during the day. You really need to invest in a good treadle feeder or resort to hand feeding twice a day and having fewer eggs or weight gain if you are raising broilers. There is a cost to everything, wasted feed, incoming pests and disease, or blowing hard earned money on chicken stuff. ; )
Thank you!

I want to use a treadle feeder, but I have ducks and a cross beaked chicken who needs a deep dish to take her time eating… Have you heard of special needs birds being able to use a treadle feeder?
I’d try it if it could work.

Order a duck step with the treadle feeder if you have ducks. The feed piles up deep enough, don't think a cross beak would have any problems but I have never been asked that question. Anyone out there with experience on this?

Back
Top Bottom