Rat proofing!

kurby22

Crossing the Road
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
Hi there -

We are still developing our plans for the chicken coop to ensure it is as close to 100% predator proof as possible, it is my biggest concern for the chickens. I bought a coop with run that is 3.5 ft x 7 ft. and has an open bottom and uses the 1/4" mesh hardware cloth, so I feel good about all but the bottom. What is the best approach to ensure that rats cannot dig under the coop and get in? I know the chickens would love to have access to the dirt, but we live very near a large river and stream corridors and that means large, very crafty rats, mice, raptors, opossums, skunks, raccoons, and coyotes mainly. We have battled the rats already as our neighbor used to have chickens, so I know they are our biggest issue and I am trying to plan accordingly.

My current thinking is to set the coop on 12 in x 12 in pavers to keep the wood off the soil, so there will be an apron of concrete pavers all the way around that will likely have about 4 in inside the coop all around and about 6.5-7 inches outside the coop. I have 3 ft x 10 ft 1/4 in hardware cloth that I was planning to use as well. What is the best way to use this hardware cloth to protect from the digging/tunneling? I am also considering a daytime run extension that will have a roof, so they will always be protected when they are out and about, so that will also need similar rat proofing--it will be another 3.5 ft x 7 ft. Any ideas with pictures would be extremely helpful! I am more of a visual person.

TIA.

I bought a coop with run that is 3.5 ft x 7 ft. and has an open bottom and uses the 1/4" mesh hardware cloth, so I feel good about all but the bottom.
Hmmm...sounds like a tiny prefab coop, often lacking in ventilation, structural strength, and latch efficacy.

My current thinking is to set the coop on 12 in x 12 in pavers to keep the wood off the soil, so there will be an apron of concrete pavers all the way around that will likely have about 4 in inside the coop all around and about 6.5-7 inches outside the coop
Likely to dig right under the pavers.
Aprons.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Hi there -

We are still developing our plans for the chicken coop to ensure it is as close to 100% predator proof as possible, it is my biggest concern for the chickens. I bought a coop with run that is 3.5 ft x 7 ft. and has an open bottom and uses the 1/4" mesh hardware cloth, so I feel good about all but the bottom. What is the best approach to ensure that rats cannot dig under the coop and get in? I know the chickens would love to have access to the dirt, but we live very near a large river and stream corridors and that means large, very crafty rats, mice, raptors, opossums, skunks, raccoons, and coyotes mainly. We have battled the rats already as our neighbor used to have chickens, so I know they are our biggest issue and I am trying to plan accordingly.

My current thinking is to set the coop on 12 in x 12 in pavers to keep the wood off the soil, so there will be an apron of concrete pavers all the way around that will likely have about 4 in inside the coop all around and about 6.5-7 inches outside the coop. I have 3 ft x 10 ft 1/4 in hardware cloth that I was planning to use as well. What is the best way to use this hardware cloth to protect from the digging/tunneling? I am also considering a daytime run extension that will have a roof, so they will always be protected when they are out and about, so that will also need similar rat proofing--it will be another 3.5 ft x 7 ft. Any ideas with pictures would be extremely helpful! I am more of a visual person.

TIA.
I went thru a huge rat problem, being a newbie, I didn't realize that rats dig UNDER and make lots of tunnels. And this is exactly what they did. I got rid of alot of my pictures, darn, but here are a few to give you an idea. I included pics of the building of the coop area, a coop within a coop, (open bottom) but failed to put the 1/4 inch hardware cloth UNDER the inside coop. Within a couple months, there were tons of tunnels and it was invasive. I had to call an exterminator and then I bought a treadle feeder, and moved the inside coop around and installed hardware cloth underneath. I should have done this in the first place. Now, no more rats. Seriously. They are gone. Hope the pics help, and good luck! I am not feeding the birds anymore either!

Attachments

• rat 1.jpg
    rat 1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 63
  • rat 2.jpg
    rat 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 58
  • building coop.jpg
    building coop.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 59
  • treadle feeder.jpg
    treadle feeder.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 60
I went thru a huge rat problem, being a newbie, I didn't realize that rats dig UNDER and make lots of tunnels. And this is exactly what they did. I got rid of alot of my pictures, darn, but here are a few to give you an idea. I included pics of the building of the coop area, a coop within a coop, (open bottom) but failed to put the 1/4 inch hardware cloth UNDER the inside coop. Within a couple months, there were tons of tunnels and it was invasive. I had to call an exterminator and then I bought a treadle feeder, and moved the inside coop around and installed hardware cloth underneath. I should have done this in the first place. Now, no more rats. Seriously. They are gone. Hope the pics help, and good luck! I am not feeding the birds anymore either!
Thank you!! This is helpful and I appreciate the lack of judgement on my coop choices. Did you cover the hardware cloth with fill dirt? I’m thinking this is my best option and just not sure how much dirt. The pics were helpful, thanks again!

You are welcome! It will all work out! Yes, I did cover the hardware cloth with fill dirt, mixed with sand. The chickens will scratch around in it anyway, until they figure out there is nothing to get in there and then they will most likely move on to better peckings. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom