Rat Questions

TheMallardDuck

Chirping
Oct 29, 2018
These are questions for now due to rats and getting it sorted out. The exterminator will be coming so I do not need any info on getting rid of them.
1. Does a duck’s swimming pool attract rats?
2. If so, is there any way to prevent this without removing the pool.
3. What else attracts rats other than food?

I think any water source will attract them.

Peppermint plants and oil deters rats. You can spray some peppermint oil on the ground around the pool. Or plant peppermint plants around the run.

A nice cozy place they can hide and nest. (Under your coop)

I'd say that yes, water attracts rats, but your bird's food is probably the main issue. I know you didn't want to know how to get rid of them, but these tips could be helpful in the future. I've heard of people that put their flock's feeder out in the middle of their pen during the day, (rodents don't like risking being hawk-food), and then putting the feeder in a rodent free place at night, (like a closed shed, an entry-way, etc.), instead of just leaving it out. Barn cats have helped our issue, as well as the above "food method". The best solution so far is a live trapper (for small rodents) that we restock with grain nightly, then let out all the rodents a mile down the road. Yes, we've had luck with peppermint as well. We keep all our livestock's food in big metal trash cans in a locked shed. Hope this helps! Rodents are NO fun:tongue

I think any water source will attract them.

Peppermint plants and oil deters rats. You can spray some peppermint oil on the ground around the pool. Or plant peppermint plants around the run.

A nice cozy place they can hide and nest. (Under your coop)
Ok so I can hopefully work out the pool and luckily we don’t have a cosy place under the coop. It’s just hard brick like stuff. If the rats nest and they don’t have food would they leave. Do they only survive 2-4 days without food like mice?

I'd say that yes, water attracts rats, but your bird's food is probably the main issue. I know you didn't want to know how to get rid of them, but these tips could be helpful in the future. I've heard of people that put their flock's feeder out in the middle of their pen during the day, (rodents don't like risking being hawk-food), and then putting the feeder in a rodent free place at night, (like a closed shed, an entry-way, etc.), instead of just leaving it out. Barn cats have helped our issue, as well as the above "food method". The best solution so far is a live trapper (for small rodents) that we restock with grain nightly, then let out all the rodents a mile down the road. Yes, we've had luck with peppermint as well. We keep all our livestock's food in big metal trash cans in a locked shed. Hope this helps! Rodents are NO fun:tongue
I’m in the Uk so no Birds of prey... Im in a town so we have exterminators we can call easily and would get rid of them but thanks anyway. I’ve chosen them to eat inside the house every couple of hours because we work at home. They will eventually get the hang of it. Those rats were eating the food that the ducks always spilled and dropped. Hopefully they won’t come back. Thanks.

If the rats nest and they don’t have food would they leave. Do they only survive 2-4 days without food like mice?
The rats can be nesting anywhere. Make sure the exterminator checks your home as well. They will alway find food, so no they won't leave. They will eat plants, seeds, trash, etc.
Rats even eat their own feces, purely for the nutritional value.
I suspect they can live alot longer than mice and they will find a food source.

The rats can be nesting anywhere. Make sure the exterminator checks your home as well. They will alway find food, so no they won't leave. They will eat plants, seeds, trash, etc.
Rats even eat their own feces, purely for the nutritional value.
I suspect they can live alot longer than mice and they will find a food source.
Wow. Unexpected.

No I don't think a small pool a tracks rats the main thing that a tracts rats is food they come mainly at night for the food I use fen traps I allso have a night vision camera you think you have no rats till you see them on the playback

Back
Top Bottom