Rat Snake..should I worry?

BEggRN

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
(North Atlanta) Georgia
My dog found this fella in our yard today; rat snake about 4 feet long. He climbed a tree to get away and, when he came down, made his escape through the chicken pen. I have 3 hens and a (likely) rooster who are about 10-11 weeks old. I put them up in the coop at night where all large openings are covered with hardware cloth, but there are some gaps near the roof that I'm sure a snake could fit through. My husband recently had ankle surgery, but we'll get in there to close it up better as soon as possible. I'm just wondering how worried I need to be. Any specific advice more than a secure coop?
20200517_162809.jpg

20200517_163117.jpg

and if it does eat eggs catch it and put in a 5 gallon bucket and cart it off 2 or 3 miles... or have somebody catch it... plz dont shoot it!!! (i love! snakes...):p

My dog found this fella in our yard today; rat snake about 4 feet long. He climbed a tree to get away and, when he came down, made his escape through the chicken pen. I have 3 hens and a (likely) rooster who are about 10-11 weeks old. I put them up in the coop at night where all large openings are covered with hardware cloth, but there are some gaps near the roof that I'm sure a snake could fit through. My husband recently had ankle surgery, but we'll get in there to close it up better as soon as possible. I'm just wondering how worried I need to be. Any specific advice more than a secure coop?View attachment 2146209
View attachment 2146211
I’ve had a Rat snake this size kill chicks and a bantam hen. These were 3 separate events. The snake was not big enough to eat the hen but he killed her trying. If you have anything small I would worry. This seems to be the time of year these things happen too so I’ve been keeping my eye out. My coop is very secure but I’m not sure there’s a way to keep these things out - one came through 1 inch welded wire, ate the chick and couldn’t get back out. Now when I see one I relocate it immediately. I also keep bantams in closed secure area when brooding. Chicks too. All wood shed, no wire or holes for them to slip through.

Rats will live within 20 to 30 feet of their main feed source, mice about half that. Reason is that predators will pick them off traveling so they tend to build a burrow or nest close to the food. So if you have a barn with rats, there is food for them. It takes a pretty good size territory to feed a rat without a constant unnatural food source.

I catch them and put them in my garage, wood shed and spring house each spring.

Even the biggest rat snake can't harm an adult chicken. Chicks and eggs are a concern so protect them until they sre an adequate size.

Caught this guy in yhe yard today while mowing (5ft 9"). I put him up a pine tree until I was finished to protect him. He's my mouse trap for the well house and came out to sun himself.

Attachments

• 20200524_162203.jpg
    20200524_162203.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 9
They like to eat the rats and mice that flock to the coop, so they can be good to have around. If they eat all the rodents, though, they will eat eggs occasionally, but they usually don't pose a threat to the chickens themselves unless they're chicks. Just be careful of the snake itself, black rat snakes can be a bit bitey, even though they're not venomous. :)

Last edited:
We live in a very snakey area. The only good thing about that is only venomous ones are copperheads, which are fairly common, and timber rattlesnakes which are pretty rare here but more common in some of the neighboring counties. Couple years ago we stopped getting eggs at an odd time and finally figured it was probably due to snakes. We lost a couple hens last time around with chickens that didn’t have any signs of blood or feather loss but did look like there necks were stretched out in an unusual way. This was during the no egg period too, so a pretty good size snake may have been the culprit but not big enough to eat them.
Have I mentioned how much I hate snakes?
My parents both believed the stuff about black rat snakes eating mice and being beneficial. I don’t. I have already found three bunches of hatched out snake eggs this year so I know I’m going to have several run ins with the nasty creatures.

Back
Top Bottom