Rat Terriers and Chickens

This is for the 9 yr old rat and new chicks. I wouldn't trust any dog with chicks. They are just too tempting and the way the run around will attract the dogs attention and might look like a game to her.
You can introduce her to the chicks by holding the chick in front of her, butt towards the dog and let her smell. If she gets excited or wants to do more then lick or smell the chick scold her...tell her, "NO! MY baby!" or whatever works for you.
She can look at the chicks, but make sure she can't get to them...like get inside of their brooder.
I had a female Shar-Pei that loved all "babies" She would sit for hours with her head inside of the brooder just watching them. Then one day she was walking around and her face looked really funny. And she was upset about something. I saw she had something in her mouth and I told her to drop it. It was a baby chick. For whatever reason, she picked one up and it suffocated in her mouth. She put the chick down and started pushing it with her nose like she was trying to wake it up.
I'm pretty sure she didn't mean to hurt it, no bites or anything on the chick. But that was the last time I left her alone with the chicks.
Chicks are just too fragile. Good luck with yours. Once they are bigger she will probably be fine with them. Just protect them while they are small.

I have a ratter and she's very well behaved around the chickens, but she thinks that their feed is hers sometimes and will chase them away from it, until I tell her otherwise that is. The only issue I really have is that she loves to eat their poop (gross!). We also have a Jack Russel/Shih Tzu mix, she's not so good around the chickens. I have to constantly keep me eye on her when we are out in the yard.

Jetta-Small.jpg

Well we have had our chicks for about 2 weeks. Our Rat still can't get use to them. She doesn't shake like the first few days, but I know she can't wait till we eat one for supper. So we are keeping them completely apart for now.
Tulls, my rat looks just like yours.

We're having the same experience as out of the brooder is having with our rat terrier. She is obsessed with the 3 pullets we have in our garage. I've tried to introduce her to them in a calm manner, but she has been wound up for days and whines and trembles at the garage door. When she is near them (on the leash), she seems very aggressive, licks her lips and trembles. It's only been a few days, so I'm hoping she adjusts soon.

Back
Top Bottom