Rationing turkey food

Nuggetsowner:)

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Minnesota
After doing much research I have decided to try to raise 10 bronze broad breasted turkeys this year. I think I have almost all my questions answered from reading other posts and using other resources available however, I wanted to get some of your opinions on feeding. I understand that many believe you should limit the feed of the turkeys almost like you would limilt the feed of a cornish X meat chicken. Am I getting this right? If this is correct about how much do you feed your turkeys? Thanks in advance for all your help.

On the BB turkeys you will have to feed restriction like the Cornish X's yes. They will have alot of the same problems as the Cornish due to them growing way to fast. They also need to be fed a broiler feed ration. 18-20% protein. If you were to feed them like a 16% or so then they probably could eat 24/7. With the higher proteins you should feed 28% or so 24/7 for the first two - three weeks, then after that feed them like a 18-22% all they can eat in a 12 hr shift and the pull the feed for 12 hrs for the rest of their days. This will help them with alot of the problems they have. It will also slow them down a bit in the growing department. So they will take more closer to 5 months to finish out.

Thanks, I have them coming on April 9th so I have a little room for when I will butcher. I can just wait and see how they are doing and when they reach the size I want the deed will be done!

Back
Top Bottom