Rats - arrgh

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep the traps out until it snows. I have been diligent with the food and water cleanup. Haven't seen any holes into the run for a week, and cleaned the coop down to the floor to ensure there were no holes getting in.
I wonder if one of those feeders would work with ducks since they are built differently than chickens.
Ah, maybe not if their fed wet feed. Sorry, have only ever helped with injured and diseased ducks, who are always fed wet so not sure if this is the norm.

One of the designs opens up to a trough though, so if the feed is offered dry then possibly that style could work. I personally prefer the gravity-treadles, but couldn't see that working for a billed bird as those have limited head clearance to prevent spillage.

There's heaps of DIY designs out there... it's essentially a hinged lid controlled by a wide foot pedal, so you could always build out something that would work for you and your flock specifically.

Last year I had a rat issue in my run rat holes in the run so each hole I stuffed after cotton balls soaked with equal amounts of ammonia and vinegar changing them out every few days but your run to be covered so water doesn't get in plus I also started in add dry italian seasoning mix in their feed the girls love it and it's very good for them rats won't eat the feed they hate oregano haven't seen rats in over a year or any kind of rodents
So I have read that putting out a cup white vinegar is a good rat deterrent. And I've also read that a mixture of vinegar and water is beneficial to chickens. So what do you think about putting out a cup of white vinegar next to the feeder to try and repel the rats? If the chickens don't like it, at least it won't harm them.

I use ACV as a tonic for my flock once in a while but I haven't ever heard of using white vinegar for their health. What does vinegar do to deter rats?

Back
Top Bottom