Rats eating chicken feed

chookcomplex

Chirping
Oct 1, 2022
I have a problem. I have an open coop that I have no hope of rat proofing and a gravity fed feeder. At night, rats come in and have a feast. That feeder is reserved for the pullets I have. I feel like I either have to change the feeder to a tub with a lid. Although I got the gravity fed feeder to stop them pooping in it. The other solution is to take the gravity feeder in at dusk and put it back at dawn. But... I'm not an early riser I wake up at 9 and the pullets are up by 6. I worry them not having feed available will make them both hungry and compromise their growth.

You may have to try something different for a little while until the rats think the food is gone which may mean some earlier rising. 😂 As you mentioned, you can take your feeders and put them in a place besides the coop but also where rats won't get it. I collect my feeders at the end of the day. If you want to leave it out there, you could put a 5 gallon bucket over the feeder and remove it in the morning.

We have a Ratproof Feeder as we had chipmunks getting into the bucket feeder. Since switching to the new feeder, the chipmunks are no longer eating the feed. We also have always removed the feeder at night and it is put back each morning by 7 am.
Rojo, if you want to leave the feeders out at night you are probably fine as is but we have an upgrade that is nearly free other than the cost of the springs and it will stop squirrels so chipmunks will not defeat the feeder. There are two holes to drill in the door, four holes to drill in the top of the feed tray that is behind that top front cover. I'll attach a file tonight but for simplicity's sake you just remove the front cover, go down 2" from the top of the door and go in 2" from the edge of the side of the feeder and drill a small hole. 1/8" is good. Hook your spring into that hole and stretch it up just enough to take the slack out of the spring, mark that spot and drill another hole about 3/8" higher so that the spring stretches out a bit when you hook it into the two holes. Then drill more holes 1/4" to 3/8" higher so you can adjust the spring tension easily. Do this on both sides so you can add a spring.

You will need another spring, three packs of springs are a buck per spring plus the five and change that the Post Office charges for mailing.

And thanks for all the recommendations, we really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom