Rats in my ducts

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Livinzoo, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    So apparently we have rats that got into our ductwork. I smell them hubby doesn't. But I do see some evidence in some of the vents also. The ductwork is in the crawlspace. It has solid ductwork in the walls and that flexi-duct running the length. I'm leary of poison, because I worry about one of the animals getting poisoned from a dead rodent and dead rodents in the ducts. I have a snap trap baited with peanut butter tied to a vent cover with fishing line, but no one has messed with it.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get them out and how to clean the smell from the vents?

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I don't know how to get rid of them, but I hope somebody chimes in with your new baby and everything. That was you, right?

3. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Ever watch the exterminator and other shows like it?

You need to follow a trail...where ever they are you should be able to find evidence by their droppings and chewed up things...on that trail is where to put bait traps...

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    My brother lost a fox snake when we were kids, from his pre-teen bedroom in our basement. Old house in old neighborhood, never had a rat problem but boy the neighbors all did! Years later, we received a complaint from the lady who bought that house, she found a "5 foot long" snake in her basement. But I bet she never had rats.

I wish you good luck. I think in Chinese Lore, rats represent good luck, anyways.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to take immediate action. If rats are in flex duct, then your hot/cold air will escape and you will also get the pleasure of breathing their urine (Hantavirus is deadly).

6. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Yes it is me with the new baby. That is why this is a priority!! I think we will replace a good portion of the flex duct and place hardware cloth over it. We are short on money, otherwise I would like to replace it all with sheet metal and insulation. Poor hubby. I feel so bad with the new baby he is working his 40 hours and taking care of most of the animals and now this on top of it.

Just gotta figure out how to kill the darn things. We have traps set in other areas that they visit, just not catching many.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    yikes! Hope you get it sorted soon... no rat problem for me thankfully I have three cats who are great "ratters"

8. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    do you have those sticky glue traps?

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If your rats are anything like our rats, snap traps and glue traps are just not big enough to catch them. I resorted to using a squirrel trap.

[​IMG]

However, our issue was outside. At over a pound a piece, the feral cats would not even touch them. The ferals live up against the house though so luckily the rats do not come to the house.

Best of luck catching the suckers.

10. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    good goly that's a big one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by