Rats inside my run!

I had so many rats at one time in one of my coops, I didn't know if I could ever get rid of them. They had chewed holes in the walls to get in-between the inner and outer walls. Before I tore out the walls I closed off that coop so nothing could get in and loaded it with the rat bait. I had seen at least a dozen or more rats in it with young. They all died and work began. I hate rats... :barnie :fl
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rats-inside-my-run.1263387/#post-20284300

For those dealing with rats, most are not aware of what they are really up against. This thread was started to help folks understand how big of a problem rats can be, and how big of a problem getting rid of them will be.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rats-when-the-army-went-to-war-on-them.1216226/page-2

Crib notes version is to rid yourself of rats is a multi-step process. Elimination of access to food and water, eliminate shelter (rat proofing any structure housing chickens ain't easy), how totally ineffective it is to try trapping them out, shooting them, sicking dogs on them, etc. The only real method that works is in addition to steps outlined above, that is done in conjunction with a regimen of various forms of poison bait blocks served up from secure bait stations.

To Chad, if I were you, and I had a severe infestation, to start, I'd be getting myself a pail of Contrac bait blocks from Bell Labs. That is what professional exterminators use. If you can't find this locally (probably can't), order it from one of the various online sources, i.e., Amazon, etc.

http://www.belllabs.com/bell-labs/product/mx/pest-control/contrac-blox

For those dealing with rats, most are not aware of what they are really up against. This thread was started to help folks understand how big of a problem rats can be, and how big of a problem getting rid of them will be.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rats-when-the-army-went-to-war-on-them.1216226/page-2

Crib notes version is to rid yourself of rats is a multi-step process. Elimination of access to food and water, eliminate shelter (rat proofing any structure housing chickens ain't easy), how totally ineffective it is to try trapping them out, shooting them, sicking dogs on them, etc. The only real method that works is in addition to steps outlined above, that is done in conjunction with a regimen of various forms of poison bait blocks served up from secure bait stations.

To Chad, if I were you, and I had a severe infestation, to start, I'd be getting myself a pail of Contrac bait blocks from Bell Labs. That is what professional exterminators use. If you can't find this locally (probably can't), order it from one of the various online sources, i.e., Amazon, etc.

http://www.belllabs.com/bell-labs/product/mx/pest-control/contrac-blox

Thanks for all the references, Howard (and other who have chimed in as well).

I have two bait stations arriving today. I'm going to start with the bait that comes with them - something out is better than nothing - until the Contrac arrives.

I first started noticing a hole along the outside of my run about 6 days ago. At first, I thought it was my first foiled predator attack - I have 1"x2" wire apron around the run. I filled the hole and then the next day it was back. I just figured persistence because I didn't see any other entry. On the third day, I finally figured out what was going on. On the inside of the run was an entry that matched the outside. So, they were digging in from the outside, going through the apron, and popping up on the inside of the run. The reason I didn't notice the hole on the inside was because my hens were kicking around the deep litter, and it was up against the fence on the inside of the run. Effectively, by scratching around, they were covering up the hole on the inside so that I didn't notice it. So, I ordered a trail camera, and that night I set it out. Sure enough, furry little rats. These aren't the monster ones, they look to be the "common" rat that we have around here in the PNW. Bigger than a mouse, for sure, but not a lot more than that.

Anyway, what I did last night was put out some Victor plastic rat traps. I know that poison here in bait stations is the end game, but I wanted to at least knock off a few dumb ones if I could. I also laid down some 16 gauge 1/2" x 1" hardware cloth (same stuff I use for the run walls) along the ground on the side they were tunneling under. I believe that the reason they are tunneling from that side is that they don't currently have access into the run from anywhere else, and it's the shortest distance to where the feeder was hanging. This morning, I had one dead rat in the trap, and the other traps weren't tripped. They were baited with peanut butter because that is what I had handy on short notice. Doesn't look like they stole any bait, just ignored the traps - except for the one that tried and failed. Looking at the game camera photos and videos from last night, they were back, but could not dig under. They didn't explore other ways or sides to dig on, so at least for last night, from what I can tell, nobody got in.

Today, I'll set out my traps again along with the bait stations. I'm going to continue putting down a 2nd layer of hardware cloth along the other sides of the run. My theory here is that they wouldn't be digging underneath the edge of the run if they could already get through the 1/2" x 1" on the sides. So, since that is galvanized and 16 gauge, I think it'll do the trick. Like the articles being referenced, I see this as a battle on many fronts: denying access, multiple forms of elimination of the existing ones that have been feeding, and hopefully drying up the food source to where my area becomes more trouble than it is worth and they move on for an easier food source.

I am fighting them with no success at all. They're making me crazy!!! And I spend an extra hour or more a day removing all the food and water at night, replacing it all in the morning and securing the girls in at night.

I'm watching the Army films on the other thread. And I'm reading the other thread hoping for some enlightenment but there doesn't seem to be much about trapping or poisoning them effectively outside.

First of all, I thought my run was predator proofed. We dug the hardware cloth well into the ground. But they found their way in. Since then, I've plugged anything I can see any light through with steel wool to no avail. And I've laid down 12" cement pavers on the exterior to make the little ____ers have to dig farther. They don't care.

I also located one tunnel and I've dug it up a few times. That usually means a night passes without a rat but eventually they get back in. And, I can't find the opening to the burrow. It's either so far from the run that I can't locate it or on the other side of the fence between my yard and my neighbor's.

I've set spring traps around the perimeter with the jaws right up against the hardware cloth. I got one. That's not nearly enough!

I've put bait stations out inside the run. It doesn't even look like they've bothered to nibble on the bait (Tom Cat bromethalin).

I am also trying to get them with a pellet gun when I can see them at night. I can only get off a shot or 2 before they're on the run and my opportunity is passed. So far I'm no Annie Oakley but perhaps I'll get better...

Part of my problem is that I can't see any burrows in the dirt floor of the run. Neither can I see any signs of where they do their running except for a horizontal 2x4 just under the roof. Unfortunately, that's too narrow and too close to the roof for me to get any traps up there or for traps to have any clearance to operate. I did put a sticky trap up there secured with some foam tape so it couldn't fall into the run where a bird could get stuck to it. The rats merely jumped over it. Anyway, not seeing their activity on the ground, I can't determine the best spots for the bait stations.

Also, I took note of the advocacy of using the bait blocks from Bell Labs (bromadiolone) but that stuff only comes in huge $100 tubs. 1) $100 is a LOT to spend and 2) I don't want a tub of it around my grandson. Is it so special and so attractive that I should get over those reservations? I mean, if I had to, I could probably lock the tub in the trunk of my husband's car where my grandson wouldn't be at risk.

Thanks, to all you intrepid Rat Warriors! I'm outmatched to be sure and need all the help I can get.

Last edited:
I didn't realize I have a rat(s) either until I got the 24-hour chickie cam. With the coon attack on my chickies, I figured a rat was the least of my worries. Maybe not.

Attachments

• IMG_6847[1].JPG
    IMG_6847[1].JPG
    426.6 KB · Views: 10
I am fighting them with no success at all. They're making me crazy!!! And I spend an extra hour or more a day removing all the food and water at night, replacing it all in the morning and securing the girls in at night.

I'm watching the Army films on the other thread. And I'm reading the other thread hoping for some enlightenment but there doesn't seem to be much about trapping or poisoning them effectively outside.

First of all, I thought my run was predator proofed. We dug the hardware cloth well into the ground. But they found their way in. Since then, I've plugged anything I can see any light through with steel wool to no avail. And I've laid down 12" cement pavers on the exterior to make the little ____ers have to dig farther. They don't care.

I also located one tunnel and I've dug it up a few times. That usually means a night passes without a rat but eventually they get back in. And, I can't find the opening to the burrow. It's either so far from the run that I can't locate it or on the other side of the fence between my yard and my neighbor's.

I've set spring traps around the perimeter with the jaws right up against the hardware cloth. I got one. That's not nearly enough!

I've put bait stations out inside the run. It doesn't even look like they've bothered to nibble on the bait (Tom Cat bromethalin).

I am also trying to get them with a pellet gun when I can see them at night. I can only get off a shot or 2 before they're on the run and my opportunity is passed. So far I'm no Annie Oakley but perhaps I'll get better...

Part of my problem is that I can't see any burrows in the dirt floor of the run. Neither can I see any signs of where they do their running except for a horizontal 2x4 just under the roof. Unfortunately, that's too narrow and too close to the roof for me to get any traps up there or for traps to have any clearance to operate. I did put a sticky trap up there secured with some foam tape so it couldn't fall into the run where a bird could get stuck to it. The rats merely jumped over it. Anyway, not seeing their activity on the ground, I can't determine the best spots for the bait stations.

Also, I took note of the advocacy of using the bait blocks from Bell Labs (bromadiolone) but that stuff only comes in huge $100 tubs. 1) $100 is a LOT to spend and 2) I don't want a tub of it around my grandson. Is it so special and so attractive that I should get over those reservations? I mean, if I had to, I could probably lock the tub in the trunk of my husband's car where my grandson wouldn't be at risk.

Thanks, to all you intrepid Rat Warriors! I'm outmatched to be sure and need all the help I can get.
I didn't have the best of luck with the bait that came with the Tomcat. I bought the Just One Bite and the rats loved it. No more rats. I do have some of the baits in the barn where I have seen rats. Last time I checked them about a week ago, they hadn't been touched.

I had a coop that was infested with them. I took the birds out of that coop and locked it up after putting in several bait bars. Once I cleaned out the coop, I renovated it and got rid of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom