1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rats / Mice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by egay, Aug 26, 2014.

1. egay

egay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Ok we have rats or mice and they are multiplying fast. We noticed our chicken feed being gobbled up faster than normal. My husband and I noticed small marks on the coop around entry points. We finally started to see them and they aren't too afraid of us. We just put out standard rat traps but after a few hours I went out to check and just saw more rats! Any advice and what kind of traps do you use?

2. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    First off, are they rats, or mice because it'll make a difference on what size trap you'll use?

3. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Posted to another query:

My understanding is that rats are everywhere.
    They will congregate and breed where there is available food, water, and shelter.
    Look closely around any fast food restaurant and you will see rat bait stations.

They will eventually come, the idea is to prevent them from establishing a colony.
    If you see 1, there are probably fifty.
    If you see two or more holes, expect dozens.

Keeping a rat trap/bait station baited 24/7 hopefully keeps the population from establishing near your food source. Once established, they are very difficult to eliminate.

Remember, chickens don't attract rats, food does.

That said, I fabricated black 4 inch circular x 18" long drainage plastic pipe as a bait station.
    Placed along the outside of my coop, looks like drainage pipe (not unsightly).
    I put a T fitting in the center, capped, for easy viewing once a week.
    Inside I maintain rat poison.

My run has food scraps 24/7.
    My coop has food access 24/7.
    Water access 24/7.

5 years, no sign of rats...

Hope this helps.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    This might help,

This is the trap RonP was talking about.

[​IMG]

5. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I LIKE THAT !!! [​IMG]

Fortunately for me, it doesn't look that hard to make. Just one question though. And you'll probably get a chuckle or two out of it, but do the critters die right there in the tube, or do they carry the bait back to their known associates and share it with them so that they all die. Kind of like a Jim Jones thing. I think that the tube is just to keep the bait away from your chickens, but not knowing for sure, I just had to ask. Thanks so much for your help and innovation.

6. annemarie g

annemarie g Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Texas
    I have the same question. Chicks can fit in 4" PVC. How do you keep them out? And what bait works best?

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

This is exactly what I made.

Thanks for posting.

You wouldn't want to keep the station where accessible to chicks, or any other small animal not intended to eat the bait.

The critters don't just die on the spot, nor do I believe they share.

I use rat bait sold in any garden or hardware store. The station is weatherproof.

They just disappear...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by